cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX80 converting from Android to CE without CUCM

sipr_ttgp
Level 1
Level 1

I have a DX80 that I am trying to get converted from android to CE. I cannot upgrade through the web (TFTP Blocked) and cannot upgrade through CUCM. I have updated the software from 10-2-4-56 to 10-2-5-213 using a laptop with Cisco tftp installed. I found a sample .xml file that I rename to the serial of the DX80 and set the filename to the .sgn file needed. The problem that I am having is that when I use the same procedure to do the conversion it does not work. The file that I am using on the tftp server is 'cmterm-synergy-ce8_2_1_no_defauls.cop.sgn'. What am I missing?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

While I'm not sure if the method you are using would work anyway, I suspect that the file you are using on the TFTP server is the installation package for CUCM, rather than the firmware itself.  If you are performing the procedure from CUCM, the actual file the DX80 downloads is sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads - so maybe you can extract that file from the .sgn package and try putting that on the TFTP server instead?

Alternatively, you can connect the WiFi of the DX80 to an unfiltered internet connection like a smart phone if the corporate network blocks TFTP.

View solution in original post

You need to extract the sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads file from cmterm-synergy-ce8_2_1_no_defaults.cop.sgn, and upload it to your TFTP server.  The DX80, nor TFTP, will extract the phone load file from the COP file, so you must do this yourself.

At quick glance, your xml file looks okay.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I had a similar issue where a DX80 didn't want to contact the TFTP server and download the software, just entering the TFTP address and erasing the trust files from anything but a factory reset didn't work, I had to factory reset the endpoint and then enter the TFTP address for it to work. When prompted, erase all trust files, the screen should go black after you enter the TFTP address etc, after a period of time it should eventually start downloading the upgrade, you can check the status page to see if it's upgrading.

What application or Software tool do you use to extract the sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads file from the cmterm-synergy-ce8_2_1_no_defaults.cop.sgn file? N++?

I use 7-Zip for extracting packages.

Thanks Patrick,

Why doesn't Cisco put that file (sipdx80.ce831.190117.loads) on the downloads page or instructions on how to extract using 7-Zip. I have not been able pull that file from that cop.sng package. Did they put in a newer patch release that the CUCM TFTP will automatically extract and start the load of CE?

The steps outlined in this thread are if you're planning on upgrade a device manually, outside of CUCM, using TFTPD32 for example.

To upgrade via CUCM, take a look at thread telepresence-endpoints-cucm-firmware-updates.

Thanks for the Information. I open a ticket with Cisco TAC and the engineer suggested to use the Cisco Cloud Upgrader. http://upgrade.cisco.com/DX. It actually takes an hour to upgrade from Andriod to CE. Once you point the DX Unit  to Cisco's Cloud TFTP Server it will automatically upgrade the Adriod to the newest version to convert to Collaboration Endpoint. (CE 8.3.1).

Upgrading on my home network since the work network would not get it done.  Even after the factory reset and deleting the trust files,.the screen goes black a d after a few minutes it comes back to the settings page and noting happens after that.

While I'm not sure if the method you are using would work anyway, I suspect that the file you are using on the TFTP server is the installation package for CUCM, rather than the firmware itself.  If you are performing the procedure from CUCM, the actual file the DX80 downloads is sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads - so maybe you can extract that file from the .sgn package and try putting that on the TFTP server instead?

Alternatively, you can connect the WiFi of the DX80 to an unfiltered internet connection like a smart phone if the corporate network blocks TFTP.

Nick is correct, and an oversight on my part for not catching it earlier.  You need to extract the phone load that is contained within the COP file and reference that in your .xml file.

Thank you both for taking the time to provide insight into this issue. After reading your comments it became clear to me that I did not sufficiently describe my issue. To clarify this DX80 is a govt. Because of that I cannot use any of the preferred or suggested methods mentioned (i.e. connect to the web, connect to cell phone, connect to CUCM). So, I did the following:

1) configured the DX80 on the same network as a laptop running cisco tftp server software.

2) on the tftp server I unzipped the file "cmterm-dx80.10-2-5-215.zip". This zip contained two .mlo files and a .loads file.

3) I found a bare-bones sample .cnf.xml which I modified with the tftp server ip, .loads file and renamed it with the DX80 serial number.

4) Pointed the DX80 tftp setting to the laptop IP.

The DX80 reached out and downloaded and updated the firmware to version 10-2-5-215.

Now I am attempting to convert the DX80 from Andriod to CE so that I can get the gatekeeper functionality. I followed the same procedure but using the files that the download page says is for converting. 

1) on the tftp server I placed the "cmterm-synergy-ce8_2_1_no_defaults.cop.sgn" into the root folder.

According to Cisco's site this is the file needed when the CUCM is unavailable. The site states that the phone load file (sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads) is embedded. I have attached the .xml that I am using for reference. 

Thank you for your assistance.

R\

George

You need to extract the sipdx80.ce821.rel.loads file from cmterm-synergy-ce8_2_1_no_defaults.cop.sgn, and upload it to your TFTP server.  The DX80, nor TFTP, will extract the phone load file from the COP file, so you must do this yourself.

At quick glance, your xml file looks okay.

That did the trick. I used the Hex editor and zip program to extract the contents of the COP file. Popped it all in the tftp server and restarted. The DX80 is now running CE instead of android.

Thank you for the help!

Does anyone know what version will give me H232 functionality?

Glad it worked.

Note, Nick's earlier response already pointed out what I mentioned, you should also mark his reply as the correct answer as well.  Thanks.