Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Echo Control Noise Reduction Mode

Hi all,

After we deployed an SX20 yesterday, we heard echo from the SX20(TC6.0.1).

We had a test making a call between a 1700 MXP and the SX20.

When we speak to the 1700 MXP we hear our voice retrurn from SX20.

We tried settings below but none of them could help:

Place the mic far from the display

Disable Audio Enhancement on the display

Enable "Game mode" on the display

Use external audio coonector(RCA) on the display instead of HDMI

Configure "xcommand experimental Audio EcReferenceDelay: 300"

Swap the SX20 with another SX20

For now, the only workaround for this is to use external speaker directly connected with SX20.

Is there anythig else we can to solve this ?

By the way we found a command below on EX60(TC6.0.1).

Can we use this on SX20 to resolve the issue?

(We have no SX20 now so we can't try the command)

xConfiguration Experimental Audio Input Microphone [1..3] EchoControl NoiseReductionMode: <Normal/Aggressive>

Best Regards,

Kotaro Hashimoto

15 Replies 15

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Kotaro,

Which (manufacturer) display is connected to the SX20.

this issue is either due to the monitor or any wrong connection please check for  the presentaion line in is connected to correct port

i suppose the HDMI is sending the audio out monitor ?

Audio EcReferenceDelay: 300  try changing the value to in between , you need to change the values and then have to observe the best response.  100- 180

As far as the commands mentioned will not work on SX20 as it have a different architecture.

Thanks

Ravi Kr.

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

It's not an "unknown" issue, we're seeing, or in this case "hearing" - the same thing with C40 connected to Sharp 70" LED/LCD http://www.sharp.net.au/product-catalogue/products/LC70LE735X/ - when taking audio via HDMI - and, like you, solved it by using external speakers connected directly to the codecs.

This is not a codec issue, but is caused by how the display is handling the audio.

Using external speakers is a much better solution for us anyway, as we found the audio quality to be, in general, better than when using the internal TV speakers.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Kotaro,

Agree to Jens as its a know issue with sharp monitors, that the same reason I asked for the manufacturer however at times we have seen few issues with panasonic and samsung monitors as well which acn be easily resolved by the provided settimgs

Let us know.

Thanks
Ravi kr.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi Ravi, Jens,

Thank you for your information!

This time the issue happend on Panasonic monitor, which we have never seen(heared) on the manufucturer.

(I know this could happen on Sharp monitors)

And I understand "EchoControl NoiseReductionMode" can not be used on SX20. Thank you.

For me using external speakers is the last resort even if they provide much better audio than monitors'.

Because many customers don't like to put them.

We will try to change the value of "Audio EcReferenceDelay" again and update this discussion if there is something to solve this.

Thank you again, for your advice.

Best Regards,

Kotaro Hashimoto

Is there a recommenced display I should use when deploying the SX20 to avoid this issue?

jamie murray
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We are having a similar issue, on a C series, we would either be able to reduce the mic input volume in the GUI or using TC console. There doesn't appear to be anyway of changing the mic volume on the SX20? adding expternal speakers in our case would be an adequate work around as the customer who is deploying these has 50+! screens in use are samsung ME series.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved

Hi Jaime,

please try the

xConfiguration Experimental Audio EcReferenceDelay :

try changing the value as per the effect , try the vaues near 100 -200

which device do you have in setup , c20 or sx20  as rest all other codecs have seperate echocancellation options.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

Hi Ravi,

We have been further testing this today:-

Initially we balanced out the audio to improve the echo effect being heard and for all we managed to greatly improve this, we were unable to eradicate it completely.

We were able to ascertain from the testing that when the audio fell “silent” in the room, you could hear the AGC ramp up and the back ground noise increased until us at the far end spoke and then the echo increased and was more noticeable, at this point our suspicions of ambient noise causing the echo cancellation to work harder looke more likely.

As we futher tested this, we used a 2nd mic and connected this to mic input 2 on the codec (disconnecting completley from mic, which completely eradicated the issue. When we replaced the initial mic in this socket again the issue was not there.

What is the behaviour difference between mic input 1 & 2 please?

Hi Jamie,

Technically no differences between the two mic inputs.

may be there would be some issue with the input 1 port.

Thanks

Ravi kr.

dalston999
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem with a sx20. The tv is a sharp lc-60le650u. I've been seeing others online with this problem with different displays, as i've been researching the problem heavily this week. The only thing that completely stops the echo in my case is external speakers. I've tried everything commands, settings on the display as suggested, including upgrading to 6.2. I have an open ticket as well. I have speakers in the ceiling in two sx20 setups. One of those setups also doubles and a mobile unit. When in mobile mode the unit has echo when using the display speakers. My real test is if I let everything go silent then clap. I hear the clap back. Can't totally get rid of it. I have a spare mic as well to test with. nothing stops it completely. Looking at getting another set of speakers to go with the unit in mobile mode. from all I'm seeing with cases online I really believe this unit has a genuine issue with echo cancellation.

Ravi Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dexter,

You will get echo with sharp monitora as that is a known issue. Sonehow sharp displays creates echo with almost any other c series device connected to it with usiong internal speaker. The only solution you have already mentioned external speaker.

The other way of echo test can be blowing whistle. As mentioned you would be able to lesser the amount of echo with the existing setup however cannot remove it till the time the monitor is swapped.
Now coming to codec part I cannot deny that codec cannot be faulty however in your scenario its not bad as it works absolutely fine when used with external speakers.

Moreover this issue remains same when connecting any other codec as well with hdmi audio out.

Regards
Ravi kr.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

hi all,

I'm experiencing this issue too with some Samsung monitors. We ar currently testing, if the Experimental Audio EcReferenceDelay Setting helps.

Regards, Paul

Can anyone make a recommendation on any monitors that do not experience this issue?

The experimental audio ecreferencedelay setting did not help me. I got a sound bar and that fixed the problem. You will most likely need to get a speaker of some sort to fix the problem. As far as a recommendation for monitors you will probably need a professional display of some sort. The home user line of tv's are not really suited for this type of setting.