cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway and Jabber

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

I am deploying expressway-c and expressway-e for a couple of  jabber users and would like to know what services that I need to select on the e and c servers. This is bundled with my BE6000 CUWL licenses. What is the difference between the following:

Mobile and Remote Access

Jabber Guest Services

Registration Proxy

Which of the above do i need on each server?

7 Replies 7

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what is it you want to achieve?  Mobile and remote Jabber, so people can use Jabber VPN-less from say the internet?

You would neeed MRA (mobile and remote access for this).

Jabber Guest is for Busines 2customer.

Registration proxy is used to register like 3rd party conference stations to your VCS, i dont think you need this either.

Please rate if useful.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Dennis,

The jabber vpn-less is what I'm after. So do I need MRA on both the c and e server?

There's a whole deployment guide for Mobile and Remote Access Through Cisco Expressway.  In that document, it tells you that you need to enable mobile and remote access on both the -C and -E.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne,

I have learned to love and hate the Cisco documentation. Most of the time if you know what you are after the documents go into great detail. You guys have gave me the starting point on what service I need so the rest should be using the guides.

I noticed after installing express using the ova template that the drive fills up to around 95 percent just doing nothing. I have it thin provisioned. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Thin provisioned is not a supported deployment.  As per the Cisco Expressway Virtual Machine Install Guide (page 11), the disk should be Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Interesting that they make this an option in the gui and state that it's not supported. I have never thick provisioned and lazy zeroed any datastore even my Oracle database which I haven't noticed any performance issues. They say it's a performance hit, maybe with thousands of users but I'll only have about a dozen. Maybe they are filling the disk when thin is chosen. Good grief Cisco, take the option out if it's that big of deal!

The GUI you refer to is VMWare's GUI, not a Cisco thing, so not necessarily a Cisco issue.

For a supported solution, it's always recommended that you have installed and configured as per the Deployment Guides, and the disk provisioning method is clearly indicated as one of the steps.

I agree, with only a small amount of users, it's not likely to cause you any performance hit - you just need to keep in mind, that if you do configure it that way, it becomes a deployment that is not "officially supported", so if you have any major issues, you will not be entitled to as much support as if you had built it the "supported" way.

Wayne
--

Wayne