Views
Helpful
Replies

Full Screen Video Decreases the FPS

dwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying something kind of unique. I have a Tandberg 2500 and have it streaming to a multicast address. I have set up a live broadcast on the IPTV Content Manager, specifying the Tandberg as the IPTV server and the multicast address and port (from the Tandberg).

It apparently will only work with h.261 encoding on video and PCM for the audio. Not really sure why.

I can then turn on the IPTV Viewer and pick up the stream. It does actually work, well. Here's the problem:

If I want it to go full screen, or anything really larger than 320x240, the frames per second start to drop dramatically. At full screen, they're about 03 FPS. This is not suitable for full motion video. Does anyone know why it does this? Is there a way to get it to do 30FPS at full screen?

Thanks,

Dave

4 Replies 4

slauwers
Level 1
Level 1

Changing the size of the screen changes the bandwidth requirements (you need a lot more bandwidth). Are you using a H.323 gatekeeper to do bandwidth management or are you using some other agent to control the streams (callmanager?). Typically configs limit the video bandwidth to 384Kpbs which is not enough for 30FPS full screen. Some info on your setup would help troubleshooting.

Ciao,

Steven

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply. The stream is directly from the multicast being sent out from the Tandberg 2500. I just create a program in IPTV and the client can subscribe. However, I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the Tandberg is only capable of streaming out at 320 Kbps, so maybe that's the problem??

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yep, that's your problem. I mentionned 384 Kbps because of the 320Kbps video + 64 Kbps voice (typical environment). So I'm afraid that with your Tandberg you will have to stick to the smaller screen (or change your PC's screen resolution to a lower value if you need the big screen) or live with the minimal frame-rate.

Ciao,

Steven

Thanks Steve. I kind of thought it was something like that.

I asked this of TAC and do you think they could give me an answer. They came back with a bunch of questions that weren't even remotely related to what I was asking. In frustration, I just closed the ticket with them and went to the Discussion Groups where I knew I'd get the answer ;-).

Thanks,

Dave