cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to mute the mics on a Webex Room Kit Pro when Not in a Video Call

Evan P
Level 1
Level 1

I am using WebEx Room Kit Pro with Vaddio AV Bridge Mini and the Quad Camera for use with MS Teams or Zoom. The AV Bridge connects to the PC via USB. COdec is running CE 9.15.

Here is how the video is physically connected from Camera:

HDMI video output 1 from the camera to Video input 1 of the codec. Control cable from camera to codec.

HDMI video output 2 from the camera to the Vaddio AV Bridge.

Video works fine,

I am using 3 CISCO Mics on Audio Inputs 1-3 (2-ceiling and 1 puck)

In the Audio Console I made a new output group Called AV Bridge. I made a connection from the default Microphone group to the new AV Bridge output group and also added speaker output 5 to this group. I only want the room mics to pass thru to the AV Bridge for use with Teams/Zoom. SPeaker output 5 is connected to the AV Bridge line input.

When not in a video call, I am able to get the audio from the codec into the AV Bridge with no issues.

Here is my problem:

I can only mute using the mute function with in Teams/Zoom. The mute function/option is not available on the room navigator user interface panel as I am not in an actual video call using the codec.

When using the normal mic testing function in the menu settings the mics work as originally designed.

Question: How can I make the mics mute/unmute and the lights on the mics show green/red using the user interface? (I feel like this could be done using a combination of the UI Extensions and Macros, however, I do not how to set this up)

9 Replies 9

Might I be so bold to ask what is the use case to mute the microphones when not in a call?

Response Signature

Hello Roger,

We are setting up to use MS Teams/Zoom from a laptop using the Microphones that are native to the CISCO codec. We are doing this thru the presentation mode using by previewing the PC input on the display.  However, these mics are only active in a VTC call. Basically, I need a way to mute/unmute the mics when in presentation only mode.  I was able to send the mics to the speaker output on the codec and to my Vaddio AV bridge using the audio console in the codec settings, see attached screen shot.

I am looking for a way to use the native microphone mute function when not on an active VTC call in order to mute the mics from the touch panel and not in Teams/Zoom on the laptop. Also looking for some indication of the mics being on/off for the customer.

Still I don’t understand why you would have a need to mute the microphones outside of a call. I mean without an ongoing call the microphones would not be active anyway. Or am I missing some point here?

Response Signature

When using the audio console you can send the mics directly to a speaker output. (See photo I uploaded) This makes the mic hot all the time when not in a call.

To mute mics through an AV bridge which is in web conference.

When using the audio console you can send the mics directly to a speaker output. (See photo I uploaded) This makes the mic hot all the time when not in a call.

I think he is on a call, but it's a MS Teams or Zoom call not a call using the Room Kit as the actual endpoint. He is just using the physical microphones of the room kit that are connected to another device and wants to still control them using the Touch 10.

I'm going to guess this was a use case Cisco never expected and they likely have the same thought as you "Why would I need to mute a microphone when there is not active call?"

I think this is the ask, and I don't have an answer.

DJ

Yes, that is basically what I am trying to do. Thank you for restating.

djl
Level 1
Level 1

I took a look at the Cisco Collaboration Endpoint Software API Reference Guide (CE9.15) and found the below information on page 64.

It looks like you can Mute using the API commands, but the status LED on the Microphones cannot be controlled currently. It also appears that this is enabled by default.

xConfiguration Audio Microphones Mute Enabled

Applies to: DX70/DX80  SX10  SX20  SX80  MX200G2/MX300G2  MX700/MX800/MX800D  RoomKit  RoomKitMini 
CodecPlus  CodecPro  Room55  Room70/Room55D  Room70G2  RoomPanorama/Room70Panorama  DeskPro 

Requires user role: ADMIN, INTEGRATOR

Define the microphone mute behavior on the device.

USAGE:

xConfiguration Audio Microphones Mute Enabled: Enabled

where
        Enabled:
          True/InCallOnly
          True: Muting of audio is always available. In general, the microphone mute LED will not be
          lit outside of call, but you can still mute using the API commands.
          InCallOnly: Muting of audio is only available when the device is in a call. When Idle, it is
          not possible to mute the microphone. This is useful when an external telephone service/
          audio system is connected via the device and is to be available when the device is not
          in a call. When set to InCallOnly this will prevent the audio-system from being muted by
          mistake.
          Default value:
            True

Hopefully that'll get you on your way.  I haven't really worked with these devices.

DJ