cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PrecisionHD USB via TP extender

Torje Odegard
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to extend the usb between a pc and a PrecisionHD USB camera via TP-cable, f.ex with an Extron USB Extender?

3 Replies 3

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can extended the USB cable of the Precision HD USB Camera by using any standard USB extension, however, Cisco recomends that you do not use a cable with lenght greater than 2 meters. I am not sure if this is going to work with Extron USB Extender, once it is not a standard USB extension.

Just to give you a reference taken from Cisco documentation:

Precision HD Camera USB cable extend.png

Starting on page 9 - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/articles_doc/knowledge-base-articles-precisionhd-usb-camera.pdf

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

HI Paulo,

Yes, I read that in the article. This is regarding extension with a regular USB-A-F to USB-A-M 2metres cable. I am aware that this works, but wonders if anyone has tested extension with TP-based extenders and done this with positive outcome.

I just discovered that we had a set of Extron USB Extenders laying around in the office. This is not the TP-kind but the Multimode fiber ones (FOX USB). I just connected it up for a quick test now with 15metres of OM3 fiber. 1,8m USB on the pc-side.

I can confirm that it works. The camera gives perfect image without any stuttering or delay.

/Torje

Hi Torje,

It is nice to hear that it is working for you.

It is important to keep in mind that, as it is not officially supported by Cisco, if you have some kind of issue in the future and need assistance from TAC support, they will probably advise you that it is not supported officially, and Cisco won't be required to make it work. But in general, if it works fine for you, I don't think you are going to have problems like that.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".