Views
Helpful
Replies

Provisioned Devices (EX60, etc) added as Systems in TMS

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Two questions based on this subject.

1. I noticed when I provisioned my EX60 with our VCS that everything worked perfectly fine.  However I'd like to also add the system into TMS as a system that gets monitored, not managed per se by TMS.  I noticed that there is a check box in the settings called "Provisioned", which will prevent TMS from altering the provisioning settings on the codec and changing them to TMS from being the VCS.  However, I noticed once I added it into TMS after it was provisioned by the VCS, TMS changed the provisioning settings before I could check the provisioned option in the TMS settings page of the codec.  Is there a good way or numbered steps one should add a codec into TMS that will end up being provisioned in VCS?
  2. How does anyone handle the phonebooks within TMS, if one has a phonebook source based on endpoints in a folder where the provisioned device resides, and you have the phonebook based on the provisioning directory.  How would one keep the system from appearing twice?  Right now the provsioning directory listed both H.323/SIP as <user>@domain, while the provisioned settings for H.323 is <user> and SIP is <user>@domain.  Are there two entries because it is listed in the phonebook in two locations, or that the H.323 entry is different?

So, essentially, what is the preferred deployment method when provisioing such devices with the VCS, and wanting to be able to have them listed in TMS for whatever purpose the user might like.  Since obviously both can be done, just don't know the preferred way of going about it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
      Cisco Employee
      Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick

1: I tested the first scenario both ways, adding the endpoint to TMS and then provision it and purging it, provision it and re-adding it.

None of these made the checkbox ticked automatically but adding the system first, gave time to check the box so that the TMS settings was not enforced. I guess this is the best way of doing this for the time being.

2: As you know, when the system is provisioned it is associated with the user in the TMSPE directory, FindMe would be the answer here and then choose not to import the "devices" to the provisioning phonebook to only keep the FindMe URI. You want to provision the EX with a device pattern: {username}.{device.model}@domain.com

The endpoint once added to TMS will appear in the "All systems" phonebook, which is a sideeffect you get when adding the provisioned system to TMS. But the effect is neutralized by FindMe when not importing the user devices to the provisioning phonebook.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Magnus Ohm
      Cisco Employee
      Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick

1: I tested the first scenario both ways, adding the endpoint to TMS and then provision it and purging it, provision it and re-adding it.

None of these made the checkbox ticked automatically but adding the system first, gave time to check the box so that the TMS settings was not enforced. I guess this is the best way of doing this for the time being.

2: As you know, when the system is provisioned it is associated with the user in the TMSPE directory, FindMe would be the answer here and then choose not to import the "devices" to the provisioning phonebook to only keep the FindMe URI. You want to provision the EX with a device pattern: {username}.{device.model}@domain.com

The endpoint once added to TMS will appear in the "All systems" phonebook, which is a sideeffect you get when adding the provisioned system to TMS. But the effect is neutralized by FindMe when not importing the user devices to the provisioning phonebook.

/Magnus

Thanks Mangus

I think I've found a workaround with what you suggested above.  I've added the system into TMS, but I've put it into a "Provisioned Systems" folder, which is specifically for what it says, provisioned systems that are added into TMS.  And I've setup our TMS phonebooks to not include this folder.  That way I can still have the systems added into TMS for monitoring purposes, but yet at the same time still have only one phonebook entry, the FindMe entry from the provisioning directory.  Took me a little while to figure out a work around, to avoid the two seperate entries in the phonebook.