cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about product selection

startryst
Level 1
Level 1

what is difference between NM-HDV2-1T1/E1 and VWIC-1MFT-E1 which is an option card in NM-HDV2-1T1/E1

1 NM-HDV2-1T1/E1 with 1 VWIC-1MFT-E1 will be 2 E1, the two E1 will be the same?

I see 2610XM WIC slot also can insert one VWIC-1MFT-E1,so with 2610XM I needn't to buy NM-HDV2-1T1/E1,just buy VWIC-1MFT-E1 is OK,right?

4 Replies 4

rseiler
Level 3
Level 3

What are you trying to do?

The NM-HDV and NM-HDV2 modules have VWIC slots but, more importantly, they have DSPs.

You are correct, the 2610XM router could take a VWIC-1MFT-E1 module in its WIC/VWIC slot 0 or 1, but you would not be able to terminate voice on that VWIC unless you also installed an AIM-VOICE-30 inside the router to provide DSPs.

If you just want to provide data termination on the VWIC, you don't need anything other than the VWIC-1MFT-E1.

If you want to terminate data and/or voice traffic on a single VWIC, then you need DSPs. I would suggest the AIM-VOICE-30 module because it is less expensive than the NM-HDV2.

If you need more than one T1/E1 of voice termination on the 2610XM router, then you must use the NM-HDV2 since the AIM-VOICE-30 module can only provide voice termination on a single T1 or E1.

In addition, the NM-HDV2 provides the ability to install more DSPs to provide hardware conferencing, transcoding, and MTP resources to Call Manager as well as providing up to 2 T1/E1's of voice termination.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you give me more information I could make a more specific recommendation.

/Rick

Thanks for your kindly helping

OK,I just want to know how to terminate data and voice traffic on a single E1???

Could you give me some configuration examples of how to configure data E1, voice E1 and data/voice E1?

As far as I know, the voice E1 is to PSTN, the data E1 is like lease line, so how to combine them into one VWIC???

To my opinion, the usage of VWIC interface card either VIC or WIC, but not both,am I right?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. You absolutely can have both voice and data on the VWIC at the same time, that is the point of the VWIC (versatile WIC) vs the WIC-1DSU.

Here are some config samples, note that these examples are for a T1 VWIC, the capabilities and config are almost identical for the E1 VWIC:

1) For data only (this will create a serial 0/0:0 interface):

controller T1 0/0

ds0-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

2) For voice only (this will create a voice-port 0/0:0 interface) using T1 CAS:

controller T1 0/0

ds0-group 0 timeslots 1-24 type e&m-immediate-start

3) For voice and data on the same VWIC (this will create serial 0/0:0 and voice-port 0/0:1 interfaces), again using T1 CAS for the voice side:

controller T1 0/0

ds0-group 0 timeslots 1-12 speed 64

ds0-group 1 timeslots 13-24 type e&m-immediate-start

As you can see from the above config, interface serial 0/0:0 will use T1 channels 1 thru 12 (total of 12 channels or 768 Kbps), and voice-port 0/0:1 will use channels 13-24 (total of 12 channels of voice). This obviously will need to be coordinated with your LEC in order to match the DACS config on the telco side.

Note that ANY voice config will require DSPs in order to be configured and to work. Using just a VWIC in the V/WIC slots on the 2610XM, your only option is the AIM-VOICE-30 using the internal AIM slot. Otherwise, you will need an NM-HDV, NM-HD, or NM-HDV2 module in NM slot 1 (which includes DSPs) with the VWIC plugged into the NM module.

The only restriction of the VWIC is that if you configure the VWIC mode as ATM, then you must use all channels for ATM, you would not be able to share the VWIC with any other type of voice or data service.

For example (this will create an ATM0/0 interface):

controller T1 0/0

mode ATM

Hope this clears things up for you...

/Rick

OK,thanks for your kindly helping, most of my questions have been cleared, but...

I know the SP(Service Provider) can provide two types of services: one is data service (lease line, or Frame Relay) to connect two branch, this might be the VWIC works on...but the other service is PSTN service, just POTS(Plain Old Telephone Service)

In service one, somebody call it E1 Service, because the bandwidth is 2.048Mbps.

In service two, somebody also call it E1, because it has 30 channel for telephone call

If I select the service two, how does data traffic flow to PSTN???not IP WAN???

Can you clarify me?