Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resolution and fps for MX700 for internet BW 2.5 Mbps

Hello 

The customer internet bandwidth is 2.5 Mbps. They are using a MX700 for point to point calls.They have purchased the optional license for multisite feature.

1.Can they make conference calls to 4-5 sites ?

2.What would be the expected resolution and the recommended bandwidth to be able to host multisite Videoconferencing with to 4 or 5 sites?

Regards

Sulfi

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

While this might not be exact as there is no document that I know that specifically overviews the Multisite bandwidth requirement, you could use the values mentioned in the MX700 Datasheet as a reference:

Bandwidth

• Up to 10 Mbps total MultiSite bandwidth

Minimum bandwidth for resolution/frame rate (H.264):

• 720p30 from 768 kbps
  • 720p60 from 1152 kbps
  • 1080p30 from 1472 kbps
  • 1080p60 from 2560 kbps

MultiSite features (embedded multipoint, available as option):

• Five way 720p30 High Definition, three or four way 1080p30

And to clarify slightly what [@patrick.sparkman] has written above and to put it in the context of your original question, if you make a MultiSite call including 5 sites (yourself + 4 others), you will be making 4x 720p30 calls.  Depending on the call rate you specify when making the calls (or what you set as the default call rate (as long as the users don't change it), you can limit the bandwidth, so 4x 720p30 calls, at 768k, will use 3072k of bandwidth.

If you reduce the bandwidth, the quality will also be reduced, so, for example, if you limited those calls to 512k per call, for a total of 2Mb bandwidth, you'd still be able to expect a w448p resolution.

If you have other traffic flowing over that link as well as the TelePresence connections, make sure you have a good QoS policy defined on your WAN link to appropriately prioritize the traffic.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne

Just want to check, the default call rate you have mentioned is this parameter Conference [1..1] DefaultCall Rate(Set the Default Call Rate to be used when placing calls from the system.)? I can see its the default value which is 1920.If we reduce this value to 512K?how this will affect for a point to point call?Will the resolution will be w448p or HD?

Also if  this value put as default which is 1920 will the system still able to make mutisite calls @ 720p30 or  w448p calls.

One more thing those BW values are excluding the headers .I read somewhere that we need to put additional 20% on top of the above  values(3072+20%) or (512x4+20%)

Regards

Sulfi

If you reduce the default bandwidth, then this will take effect for all calls.  So, unless you change it manually when calling, it'll dial at the default setting, so the point to point call will also be run at that new default bandwidth/resolution.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the information.The above values are for the max BW which is 10 Mbps.For my case i have only 2.5Mbps.So i cannot achieve the 5 way 720p30HD calls in my setup right?may be this can be achieved for a point to point calls.

Regards

Sulfi