Views
Helpful
Replies

Room Kit No Audio over HDMI

Angelo04393
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just confirgured our Room kit but I cant seem to get Audio to run through our HDMI. Works fine through the built-in Room kit speakers.

Tried most of the Audio settings but to no avail. Any specific setting that I might be missing?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The basic RoomKit device is designed to be used as the sound bar and have the room audio come out of itself.

There isn't any configurtation for the audio to go out of the HDMI output (to the screen), but it is able to be send audio to the Line out which you could then combine with a HDMI audio embedder to send it over the HDMI.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne is correct - there is only one audio out on a Room Kit, it's a line out mini jack - see the datasheet: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/spark-room-kit-series/datasheet-c78-738729.html

I'm curious - the typical use case for a Room Kit is in a small to medium sized room connected to one or two monitors. Its amp/speakers are far superior to any monitor audio I've ever heard - so in that use case you would just use the RK itself for audio. What is your setup?

Hi, so basically connecting Webex kit to a TV (with souds) via HDMI cable, will still output sounds from the Kit itself, is it ?

I have seen Kit Plus will output audio via one of the HDMI outs, but not certain about Webex Kit. 

@SajithThrimavithana wrote:

will still output sounds from the Kit itself

Yes, the basic Room Kit device will output sound from its own inbuilt speakers and not use the speakers in the connected TV.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

peter.eldh
Level 4
Level 4

Why not just let us customers that pay a lot of money for this equipment to decide for ourselves on how to get the audio from the devices? There are more user cases on why you would want the audio to be embedded in the HDMI-signal then to use the internal speakers of the monitor.

One common example is when you use multiple inputs on the monitor for computer and video conferencing, and then audio out from the monitor to external speakers with only one input. Now we either have to buy an audio mixer to get two sources (the monitor and the Room Kit) to mix in to one output, or have better sound from one of the sources and not that good sound on the other. When all this could be solved "for free" and with good sound on all sources if only the audio would be embedded in the HDMI-signal. I have a couple of more useful cases as well, so it's just silly that it isn't there.

completely agree with Peter. 

Just spent an hour trying to get audio via HDMI (thinking it's cabling issue) and finally asked google WTF and here we are...

Unbelievable! It's 2022, not 90s anymore..

The "Room Kit" device is a pretty basic one and targeted towards a very basic type of installation.  If you want more flexibility, a different device (like the Room Kit Plus, or Room Kit Pro) would be better choices - these will give you the functionality you are looking for.  All devices aren't designed to do everything - it's a matter of picking the right device for the right use case and integration requirements.

Wayne

As I said, we customers pay a lot of money for Room Kit and we would like to descide for ourselves on how and when to use your products instead of you trying to sell a yet more expensive equipment just to get audio from an HDMI-port. I can't put a Room Kit Plus/Pro in a room not big enough for it just to get audio in HDMI. In case you don't know, audio is a part of the standard in HDMI. So by doing what you do, you don't follow the standards. So that's not in your favor I might add.

We have 270 Cisco-units in our environment and it's a shame you put more and more restrictions in never equipment, just to get us to buy something more expensive. Even the older SX20 with a camera is more useful then Room Kit, but unfortunatelly it's not possible to buy anymore. The latest 30 or so equipments is from another vendor.

vladyslav_s
Level 1
Level 1

we tried to use Line-out and audio quality is crap. There is some sort of background white noise. Both units went back to storage because they are useless.. I regret wasting 2 days installing them...

The white noise you mentioned here can be solved in many ways. The most direct way is to add a DI box before the audio output to the audio input device, which can effectively reduce the low noise caused by the audio line. But I think the root cause of this noise, when the equipment is not damaged, is likely to be a problem with the audio line itself.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: