cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared SIP Domain - VCS and NO lync integration

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

We currently have a lync 2010 sip domain of first.lastname@abc.com and don't plan to integrate lync with our new VCS environment. I want to use the same domain first.lastname@abc.com for our video environement (ex90s, VCSc 8.x, VCSe  8.x, Jabber (cloud IM/Presence), CUCM 9.1.x). Yes, we have lync in production and testing Jabber with UC integration.  What are the options and ramifications of using the same domain for both assuming no lync integration into our CUCM/VCS environment? 

7 Replies 7

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Where is someone going to connect to when they try to connect to you.name@abc.com - is that supposed to go to Lync, or supposed to go to your VCS?  Unless you ahve a single gateway that can differentiate between and send the traffic to each of the environments correctly, you're going to have issues.

I'd go with (and have in my environment) the standard my.name@abc.com for Lync and my.name@vc.abc.com for the proper VC world.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

They both use the _sip._tcp DNS entry... so there would be an issue if you were trying to use the same thing for both...

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Regards the technical part I agree with Patrick.

On the inside its not required and if I see it right on the outside its not used, on lync its

mainly _sipfederationtls._tcp and _sip._tls.

If the SRV records would be an issue, not only a single domain split set up would not work

but neither an integrated one.

That said, though the technology might be fine and does not get confused, the people

who are using it might, I expect him to hear: "Why cant I reach whoever@abc.com when I dial from video/lync".

So it is better to have a plan regards that.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at this document, bottom of page 60 and top of 61, it shows the DNS SRV records that are used for video and Lync.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-VCS-Microsoft-Lync-Deployment-Guide-X8-1.pdf

As Patrik said, the DNS SRV rcords do not overlap, so it is possible to use the same domain for Lync and VC. For integrating both systesm you must check your call rules, so they won't overlap.

Regards, Paul

One thing regards the understanding of the SRV lookups, most clients have some kind of serial processing

of the lookup process. Meaning, if a client for example uses and can lookup and connect to tls it will

not try tcp anyhow. Also not all SRV records are neccessaily needed to be present and again inside and outside

lookups can be different as well.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify