cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX 20 release key

hussainhadia
Level 1
Level 1

sir, our sx20 system ask us for release key as attached photo, and we don't have it .

so please tell us what we can do.  we need our system work again and we can't .

what we can do .

thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you recently upgrade the SX20, if so, what software version was it running?

If you upgrade the SX20 from one major release to another, for example TC5 to TC6, this requires a release key to be added to the endpoint.  You can request a release key from the Cisco License Portal > Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Software Release Key.  The endpoint must have an active service contract in order to request a release key.

If you do not have a release key, you can downgrade to the previous software version that you were running in the meantime.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you recently upgrade the SX20, if so, what software version was it running?

If you upgrade the SX20 from one major release to another, for example TC5 to TC6, this requires a release key to be added to the endpoint.  You can request a release key from the Cisco License Portal > Get Other Licenses > TelePresence Software Release Key.  The endpoint must have an active service contract in order to request a release key.

If you do not have a release key, you can downgrade to the previous software version that you were running in the meantime.

As the endpoint is running TC6.3.x, you just need ANY valid release key from any version - so the one that it shipped with (accessible from the Licence portal linked by [@patrick.sparkman]) will work.

The ability to enter a release key has gone from the web interface in the more recent software versions - you will need to enter if via the CLI with:

xcommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey Add Key:YourKeyHere

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

...you just need ANY valid release key from any version - so the one that it shipped with will work.

If you were running TC5.1.x, you will need a TC6 release key due to a bug, this is mentioned in the TC6 Release Notes under TC6.1.  Once running TC6.1 and later, you are no longer required to have release keys to perform software upgrades, only an active service contract to download the software is needed.

The ability to enter a release key has gone from the web interface in the more recent software versions - you will need to enter if via the CLI...

The ability to add release keys via the web interface was removed starting with TC7.0, so with TC6.x, you're still able to add the key using the web interface under Maintenance > Software Upgrade.

Note, with CE8 and later, it is not possible to add release keys at all, either through the web interface or CLI.  This is because, as mentioned, release keys are no longer needed once you're running TC6.1 or later.

Once running TC6.1 and later, you are no longer required to have release keys to perform software upgrades,

But if the unit doesn't have ANY release key on it, you still need to add one to make it work with TC6.x, but it doesn't matter which version the release key belongs to, just that a valid release key is installed.

The same issue will occur if you upgrade to TC when the endpoint previously ran TCNC software.  See: how-add-release-key-sx20-tc710

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I am using sx20 running on Software version:cenc 8.2.1

It is still required release key for making or accepting the call. Quite confuse with the product firmware release by Cisco nowadays.

Hi Kelvin,

Please be informed that the CENC software is a non-encrypted software and you might be having a SX20 device which resides on encrypted software, which is why you're getting prompt of adding a release key (most probably).

Try downloading the CE8.2.1 software and upgrade your SX20 unit using this package. Please refer the highlighted package in the following screenshot:

While performing upgrade with this, you should not get any prompt for release key.

Please make sure that for performing software upgrade to CE8.X.X version, your codec should be minimum on TC7.3.X version.

Best Regards,

Shefali Sharma

Thanks Shefali,

The version for sx20 ship to me was TC7.3.6.

Now I will try to download the version you recommend and upgrade again and keep you posted.

Hi Kelvin,

Sure.. Let me know if you any query related with this.

And once your upgrade is done successfully, please help to endorse the answer as a solution and future reference for others.

Best Regards,

Shefali Sharma

Thanks Shefali,

Pertaining to the issue has been resolved using NC version :).

If you're upgrading from "TC" to "CENC", then yes, you will need a new release key as you're changing from the encryption capable version, to the non-crypto version.  Alternately you can load the "CE" software on to "TC" endpoint which will use the Release Key already installed.

A similar thing happens if you're upgrading from "TC" to "TCNC" or going from "TCNC" to "TC".  You should be able to get a new key from Cisco Licencing if you really need to, but it's recommended that you keep on the same encryption type.

Wayne
--

Wayne

Wayne and group, I have an MX200 that is still running 4.2. My security guys are telling me I have to upgrade to 7.3. However, it appears that I need the releasekey to upgrade from 4 to 5, then 5 to 6, then I can go from 6 to 7. 

When I log into the codec via Internet Explorer, the summary page tells me "valid release key entered." But I can't find it in the GUI menu.

So, I tried CLI. Using Putty, I accessed the codec. I ran: xcommand SystemUnit ReleaseKey List  and I get an error back saying command not recognized. When I run xcommand SystemUnit ReleseKey ? and I get a response that Add is an option, but not List.

How do I find the existing release key in a TC4.x2 device?

Thank you for any assistance

Shefali Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hussain,

You can first check the current software version of your SX20 device either going through the System Information (using remote control or Touch panel) or by accessing the SSH mode using Putty software (attached image for reference).

After checking the software version, you can then go through the set of steps which Patrick has already suggested.

hussainhadia
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Mr. Patrick

please can you send us the steps to make downgrade for the system sot TC5 .

You can switch back to the previous running software version using the web interface under Maintenance > System Recovery > Software Recovery Swap. 

Are you not able to obtain a release key for the software version you're trying to upgrade to?