cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX10: can't control with RS232

Louis_R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I can not communicate with the serial port.

Cisco TelePresence SX10 CE 9.3.2

I tried  115200 bps, 38400 bps 8 data bits, no parity and 1 stop bit in a micro USB adaptor with a serial cable (direct). I tried different flow control (not specified)!

I tried to communicate in terminal with Putty.

It's ok with SSH or Telnet.

I configure : xConfiguration SerialPort Mode:On  xConfiguration SerialPort LoginRequired:Off

My adaptor or cable are the problem?

Thank you for helping me :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As I said in my previous post, the USB adaptor will work on an SX20, but it is not supported on the SX10.

The only way to have a serial connection to the SX10 is by using the micro-USB cable directly to your PC (as noted in the documentation I linked to).

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7

The flow control should be off, and it looks like you're using the wrong cable. See page 156 of the latest admin guide

Serial interface Use the micro USB connector for direct communication with the video system1 . You need a micro USB to USB cable. If the computer doesn’t auto-install a serial port driver, you need to install a serial port driver on the computer manually.2 Use a terminal emulator (SSH client) to connect to the serial interface. For the most common computer types (PC, MAC) and operating systems, PuTTY or Tera Term will work. The serial connection can be used without an IP-address, DNS, or a network. Parameters:

• Baud rate: 115200 bps

• Data bits: 8

• Parity: None

• Stop bit: 1

• Hardware flow control: Off

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce94/sx10-administrator-guide-ce94.pdf

Hi! thank's for reply :)

In the BIOS and Windows 10, it's COM1 (I connected on a DB9). In windows and Putty, the COM1 is 115200-8-N-1. But I will try flow control at OFF and I'll get back to you :) If you have suggestion for cable and adaptor, go ahead :) I need a DB9F (Crestron MP2E serial port) to micro USB. Thank you :)

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to check which serial port has been assigned on your computer when you plugged it in, then connect to that serial port using putty.  It's often COM3, but if that's not available for some reason, your PC may have assigned a different COM port number to the cable/SX10.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Louis_R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I tried directly with my laptop with cable USB-A to MICRO-B and it's work! It's my adaptor DB9 to USB my problem. Do I need use a adaptor with FTDI chipset? Thank's :)

The SX20 supports a USB to Serial adaptor, and that must be one that uses either PL2303 or FTDI.

The only USB port that is available to be used on the SX10 is the Micro USB port, which you will need to use it with a USB cable directly to your device, not any serial adaptor.  See the Serial interface section on page 156 of the SX10 Admin Guide.

The other USB port on the SX10 is not currently available to use for anything as is reserved for future use.

Wayne

Louis_R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I wait for adaptor (USB to DB9 and micro USB to DB9).

I tried a adaptor USB to DB9 on a SX20 and it's work....... but not on the SX10!

When I receive the new adapter, I will test and inform you of the result. Thank you :)

As I said in my previous post, the USB adaptor will work on an SX20, but it is not supported on the SX10.

The only way to have a serial connection to the SX10 is by using the micro-USB cable directly to your PC (as noted in the documentation I linked to).

Wayne