Views
Helpful
Replies

SX10 - switch focus between paartecipant

Andrea Morici
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'd like to ask your suggestion for the following issue a customer of us recently brought to our attention:

due to company policy, they need to call a mobile user (cell phone) and connect him (join) to a conference bridge (video) requiring an access pin; all this from an SX10.

Now what happens is the following (despite the order of called numbers/endpoints): as soon as the cell phone call is connected, it takes focus and the bridge goes in background (also if you call the cell first and the bridge afterwards, the former still keeps focus).

Being things so, it's impossible for the SX10 to enter the PIN number and access the video bridge: you hear the DTMF tones but the bridge in background doesn't get them.

Unfortunately it looks the SX10 cannot switch focus between partecipants so, this scenario seems unable to work :-/

Any idea ?

Cheers,

Andrea

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The SX10 does not support Multisite (a built-in conferencing bridge), so you will need to use an external video bridge.

The SX10 does support DTMF, so the issue with the DTMF working or not is likely to do with whatever bridge you are using, and how it supports the DTMF from a video endpoint.

It's all a little hard to comment on without more information on your setup/infrastructure, such as whether the SX10 is in a standalone configuration, or registered to some form of Call Control (VCS/CUCM/etc), how the call is traversing to the other end, or what the other end is capable of.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne, first of all thanks for your prompt reply ;-)

I didn't mention too details since I thought the issue comes from just the Sx10 limited capabilities but I could be wrong so let me try to elaborate a bit more...

The Sx10 is registered to CUCM and has in its MRG a conductor managing few telepresence servers.

The video conference bridge (room in short) is hosted on another infrastructure, reachable over the Internet (most probably another CUCM with a conductor and associated TPS).

When we call the room from the SX10 (just the room), DTMFs work fine and we can access the PIN protected conference. When we call the cell phone first and then make a conference with the room (using local TPS as video CFB), the cell phone comes in foreground and pressing DTMF doesn't appear to produce any effect on the locked room (although you can hear the tones).

I though the problem was coming from the room being in background but do you think it could be the local CFB (the local conductor TPS resource) which is not properly handling DTMFs instead ?

Cheers,

Andrea

It could be a mismatch in how all the equipment is handling the DTMF.  Some devices send DTMF tones in-band and these can be handled or configured differently on different equipment.  Others send DTMF as out-of-band H.245 user input functions - these are not forwarded by most equipment.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

We'll have a look at the DTMF chain and see if we can spot any mismatch.

Cheers,

Andrea