SX20 Dual Display - How to display presentation on Monitor 1

d.vieritz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have an SX20 (TC7.0.2) and have two monitors connected as follows:-

Monitor 1 - Projector

Monitor 2 - LCD TV

If we have a simple video call with a remote party we want the remote party to display on Monitor 1 (Projector) and self view on Monitor 2 (TV).  This works OK.

If we start sharing a presentation we want the Presentation to display on Monitor 1 (Projector) and the remote party video to move to Monitor 2 (TV). Is this possible?.  In our testing the presentation always appears on Monitor 2 (LDC TV - which is smaller and harder to see the presentation on).   

We tried permanently switching the Monitors to get the presentation to appear on the Projector and the remote party on the TV and that works OK for a presentation sharing call, but when you make a normal Video Call with no presentation the remote party is then always on the TV and the self view is on the larger Projector so this is no good. 

We are really looking for a local layout option which displays the remote party video on Monitor 1 and then when a presentation is shared displays the presentation on Monitor 1 and moves the remote party video to Monitor 2.

Is there a setting option I have missed or is there a way to create a custom layout to do this?

Thanks and Regards

David Vieritz

DD option is installed. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think this is possible, as I think monitor 1 will always show the remote site, while monitor 2 typically shows presentation content. There isn't a way to automatically flip them without going into the configuration of the codec each time to flip the monitors.

The SX20 doesn't have the capability to create custom layouts, only integrator codecs can, such as the C60/90 and SX80.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think this is possible, as I think monitor 1 will always show the remote site, while monitor 2 typically shows presentation content. There isn't a way to automatically flip them without going into the configuration of the codec each time to flip the monitors.

The SX20 doesn't have the capability to create custom layouts, only integrator codecs can, such as the C60/90 and SX80.

Too bad. Do you think it would be possible to write a script that would permit to solve this problem ? Something like exchanging the roles of monitor 2 and 1 ? I mean a ssh script that would be executed by the terminal...

Best regards,

jc

Yes, you could possibly write a script that will ssh in to the endpoint and change the first and second monitor roles around with something like:  

xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 1 MonitorRole: Second
xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 2 MonitorRole: First

then to switch it back

xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 1 MonitorRole: First
xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 2 MonitorRole: Second

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Perfect !

I will just create 2 scripts. One called ConfigureSX20Presentation with the first lines. Another one, ConfigureSX20NoPresentation, with the last lines.

Then a HTML/PHP page with 2 big buttons that will send the appropriate script to the SX20 via ssh.

To avoid ssh asking for a password, create a RSA private/public key without passphrase and put the public key on the SX20 using

systemtools authorizedkeys add <the_public_key> 

when logged as admin on the SX20. I'm not sure the SSH keys without passphrase is the best option but I don't know how to do that in a better way...

Send the script with :

ssh -i <the_private_key> <IP_of_the_SX20> < <the_good_script>

from the WEB server holding the HTML/PHP page and the SSH Keys.

People will just have to click on the right button to configure the SX20 at their will.

Thanks a lot !

jc

How we will change this in SX20 ?

You have any document or can you share ur Steps to make this change on SX20 

Create 2 scripts (red text is the text of the scripts):

• ConfigSX20Presentation:
    xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 1 MonitorRole: Second
    xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 2 MonitorRole: First
    bye
  • ConfigSX20NoPresentation
    xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 1 MonitorRole: First
    xConfiguration Video Output HDMI 2 MonitorRole: Second
    bye

Create a pair of SSH Key without passphrase. Put the public key on the SX20 and the other one at the right place for your Web server to access it. To put the public key on the SX20:

• connect to the SX20 with SSH : ssh admin@<<SX20_IP>>
  • Once logged, type : systemtools authorizedkeys add <the_content_of_the_public_key>

At this stage, you should be able to do:

ssh -i ~/.ssh/<<filename_of_the_private_key>> admin@<<SX20_IP>> < ConfigSX20Presentation
  • which will put the SX20 in Presentation mode (i.e. screen of the PC of your correspondent on the bigger screen)

Create a PHP file that will execute this SSH command. It should look like:

<?php
$cmd='ssh -i /var/www/.ssh/<<Private_key>> admin@' . $machine . '< ConfigSX20Presentation';
$ret_val = shell_exec($cmd);
if (is_null($ret_val)) {
echo 'Operation failed:' . $ret_val . '<br />';
} else {
echo nl2br($ret_val) . '<br />';
echo 'Have fun !<br />';
}
?>

Just invoke this file when people click on a button of a HTML file and you're done.

Regards

JC Mignot

Richard Greig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Any chance this scenario has been solved yet? Just helped with replacing an old polycom, however it turned out that the room is fitted with a projector, and small display to the side.

Was thinking we could create a button to swap monitor roles when required, but hoping I have just missed the correct setting :D

The default behavior of the endpoint is to display the far-end on monitor 1 and the presentation on 2. You can probably accomplish this using the macro framework introduced CE9.2 to add a button on the Touch 10 that can swap the monitors (see Video Output Connector [1..2] MonitorRole) while at the same time display presentation content.
DX, MX, SX, and Room Series Customization Guide (CE9.2)

Hi Patrick,

Just wanted to let you know that I built a macro, however rather than a button have made it sense a presentation stream automatically.

Have posted to the Macro discussion if anyone is interested :).

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/telepresence/ce9-2-1-macro-framework-discussions/m-p/3220093/highlight/false#M58441

Cheers,

Rich