cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SX80 and automatic camera switching based on mic input

Anthony Thomson
Level 3
Level 3

Can someone please confirm that the SX80 is capable of switching camera inputs automatically based on the mic with the highest input level?

That's what the "Audio Input Microphone [1..8] VideoAssociation VideoInputSource: [1...5]" command is for, right?

Is there anything else required to make this work?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

Acevirgil's answer is correct. The other way besides the SpeakerTrack is with a third party control and mic mixer.

It is very hard to do this right, with "right" meaning the following

• The switch happens as fast as the conversation
  • Each switch takes exactly the same amount of time
  • Only focused non-panning, non-tilting, non-zooming video is sent to far end or near end self view
  • Logic handles multiple open mics and/or prevents it from happening
  • Should handle non speaking periods gracefully with appropriate camera views - i.e. no open mics
  • ignore random noises A/C, papers, cell phone, door open, outside non relevant sounds etc...

There are about a a dozen more but those are the main ones. Out of all the one I have seen over the SoundTrack is by far the best from OEM. It fails on some of the points above but does do things well.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

I don't think so. SX80 is not capable of switching cameras automatically based on the mic input levels with the video/camera input associated to it. The SpeakerTrack 60 will be the solution for that.

Based on my understanding "Audio Input Microphone [1..8] VideoAssociation MuteOnInactiveVideo" and "Audio Input Microphone [1..8] VideoAssociation VideoInputSource" are couple commands that will mute the mic input if the associated video input is not active.

For example associating mic input 1 to video input source 1:

Audio Input Microphone 1 VideoAssociation MuteOnInactiveVideo: On  -----> This will enable association of a video source to Mic 1

Audio Input Microphone 1 VideoAssociation VideoInputSource: 1 -----> This will associate video source 1 to Mic 1

Result: Mic 1 will be muted automatically if Video Input Source 1 is not active.

regards,

Acevirgil

My problem is that the SpeakerTrack 60 does not have a wide enough FoV for the room I'm looking at.  It's a very unusual design.

FoV for the SpeakerTrack is 80º, and I need more like 110-115º.

I was hoping to have three static cameras switching depending on which microphone input is receiving the strongest signal.  :-(

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?  3rd party wide-angle cameras?

Does the camera need to switch between the active speakers?

What about constructing a video frame with a composite view of all three cameras on it, then everyone can see everyone else, not just the person who is speaking the loudest?  This is the way we do it so everyone can see everyone else at all times so you can see everyone's expressions or body language - that's the reason we're doing video rather than audio conferencing after all isn't it?

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I don't think that will work.  Each camera will actually have 3-5 people in its FoV, not necessarily in a nice level left-to-right line due to perspective.  I think active speakers will be necessary.

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

Acevirgil's answer is correct. The other way besides the SpeakerTrack is with a third party control and mic mixer.

It is very hard to do this right, with "right" meaning the following

• The switch happens as fast as the conversation
  • Each switch takes exactly the same amount of time
  • Only focused non-panning, non-tilting, non-zooming video is sent to far end or near end self view
  • Logic handles multiple open mics and/or prevents it from happening
  • Should handle non speaking periods gracefully with appropriate camera views - i.e. no open mics
  • ignore random noises A/C, papers, cell phone, door open, outside non relevant sounds etc...

There are about a a dozen more but those are the main ones. Out of all the one I have seen over the SoundTrack is by far the best from OEM. It fails on some of the points above but does do things well.

Thanks for the suggestions.