Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The best compatible Microphones model Numbers which work with SX80

Could please let me know the best compatible Microphones model Numbers which work with SX80. Also AV conector detail.

9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at the SX80 Physical Interface Guide, the audio connectors use Euroblocks, refer to pgs 14-16 to get an overview of the back of the SX80 and audio details of the microphones inputs.

I think Cisco has some type of prefered microphones for the SX80, but not sure on what though as they aren't listed on the SX80 data sheet.  However, you could use 3rd party conference microphones of your choice.

We already deployed lots of Cisco SX80 codec and be able to integrate to different audio systems. The SX80 codec is designed with standard and professional AV connectors for integration to AV systems and will work in terms of audio and video inputs/outputs to  most of the AV systems out there.

Are you planning to connect a third-party microphone directly to codec? Or the microphone will go through an audio mixer or DSP system then from audio mixer/DSP output going to SX80 mic input?

Here's the actual image of the euroblock connector used for SX80 mic inputs.

regards,

Acevirgil

We plan to connect third-party microphone directly to codec.

Please let me know do we hava any advantage connecting to audio mixer or DSP system then from audio mixer/DSP output going to SX80 mic input.

Please let me know the difference and the advantage.

The only reason you'd probably use an audio mixer or DSP is if you need additional audio options than what the SX80 can provide on its own. For example, you want to use more microphones then there are inputs on the SX80, or more advanced audio mixing/echo cancellation. 

Connecting microphones on audio mixer/DSP will allow you to control the characteristic of the audio signal before going to the SX80 codec input. Another advantage is to improve the quality of the audio in terms of applying methods like adding some equalizers, and filters to emilminate noise and echo before going to the codec. Although the SX80 have built-in echo cancellation but it is designed to work well with the microphone that comes with the unit. Most of the customers prefer using DSP with third party microphones when they have big conference room and require number on microphones and other audio sources. Adding more microphones/audio sources have the possibility to add more noise and echoes and one method to eliminate such unwanted signals is using DSPs.

And of couse one disadvantage of audio mixer/DSP will add some cost to the solution.

But if you have small room and simple setup for video conference and only require 1-2 mirophone, an audio mixer/DSP may not be required.

regards,

Acevirgil

Acevirgil,

Do you have the part number to this item?

Thanks,

Doc

I don't think the euroblocks are orderable parts, if you have an SX80, you should have enough for all the connectors on the codec.

The Euroblock (aka Phoenix) connectors come with the SX80.  If you don't have them, or have lost them, then any good AV shop should be able to sell you replacements.

A quick google turned up a few examples:

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any decent balanced microphone should do the job.  Different microphones will work better in different circumstances, or even positions within your room.  There's no specific model that "works best".

We have a number of different rooms and applications of gear here, and use a wide range of microphones to best cover different areas.

I'd suggest you talk with a good Audio Integrator to get some assistance picking the best type of microphone and positioning for your specific room or application.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.