Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS 12.6.2 Update to 14.5

ElmarGatz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Right now we're running TMS 12.6.2 and going to update to 14.5.

Our 12.6.2 Version is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (32Bit), we want to make a system upgrade as well and go to Windows Server 2012.
My question, probably a little funny, how do I update best?

Of course I would prefer udpating with a valid export of my data (SQL-export?), to just import these files to 14.5 and be happy.

But I suggest it is not this easy, is it?

Best regards,
Elmar Gatz

12 Replies 12

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Elmar -

There are several discussions on this already, search in the forums will most likely give you the answers.

Here is one document that goes over how to do a TMS migration.

Migrating TelePresence Management Suite TMS New Server

Hello Patrick,

thank you for your fast response.

The document is great, but leaves one question. Maybe you can give me a quick response on that.

As far as I know I am not able to install the old Version (12.6.2) on Windows 2012 Server, and am neither able to install 14.5 on the old Windows 2008 Server.

So I will have to install 14.5 on the new server, which is physically the same, and import the SQL structure.
Does this work? I am afraid as this a quite big difference in version.

Thanks in advance

As far the SQL database is concerned, it wouldn't matter what version of WIndows you use, since you'll be going through a fresh install of TMS.  That guide is slightly outdated when it comes to the SQL database, as it mentions to install TMS and then uninstall it just so it will install SQL.  However, starting with TMS 14.4, it doesn't install SQL, so you'll need to install it yourself onto the server before you install TMS, one option is to use an external SQL server as well.

Okay, I already thought the the SQL question is not affected by the used operating system.

I'm only wondering if the structure (or whatever) of the SQL Databse is another in Version 12.6.2 than in 14.5?
To put it into the real question, is it possible to export from 12.6.2 and import in 14.5 database?

Thanks for all your help.

You need to have your SQL already in place and have TMS update it. You can't copy and import an older version of the database into a newer one, TMS will will not operate correct as the database could be missing tables and important data that the newer version of TMS might need that the older version didn't have yet. 

One thing you could do is, install TMS 12.x onto the server and then import the current database into the SQL instance it creats since the older versions still install SQL Express. Then update TMS to 14.5. 

But as far as I know I'm not able to install TMS12.x on a 64bit Windows 2012 Server, am I?

And that's my problem, I am neither able to install 12.x on a windows 2k12 server, nor able to install 14.5 on a Windows 2k8 Server 32bit.

Oops, you might be correct, I forgot, different OS too.  So in that case, install SQL on the server, import your TMS 12.x database and then install TMS 14.5 and point it to the SQL instance.

Okay, but you ain't sure if this will work, if I got you right?

Eventhough I will try this way, thanks for your help from Germany :-)

It will work, we've done it before exactly how you want. Using an older TMS database, and install/update TMS as well. Let us know how it goes or if you have issues. 

Great. I'm still waiting for the release key, but as soon as I got the key I'm going to update TMS the way you told me, of course I'll give you feedback :-)

Thanks !!

I think it would be good if you could state a bit more how your current setup is deployed and what features or extensions you use.

Especially if you use tms (movi/jabber video) provisioning, as if you use that some additional steps are required.

As your TMS is a bit old, you might also want to check on the software versions of your other infrastructure and endpoint products. They might ned to get upgraded as well.

Some legacy / 3rd party support was removed from TMS.

Its wise to read the release notes as well as the admin guides upfront, to get a better feeling what might be different.

It should be possible to upgrade directly.

If you are in doubt how things work out, you could just make a SQL backup,

restore it in a lab setup and see how it behaves. I would strongly recommend to cut the network connectivity before fireing that box up.

If you need tms provisioning you will need to go through TMS13

I am not sure how big your setup is and which features you use,

in some scenarios a complete fresh install can also work out well.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Sumeet Rakesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Elmar,

If you are using TMS agent provisioning (Movi/Jabber), you need to first migrate to a version (version above 13.2) that supports migration from TMS agent to TMSPE and then to version 14.5.

It will be better if you move step by step and migrate to 13.X version, stabilize the environment and then move to 14.5 at later stage - Just an advice.

Refer to release notes for dependency.