Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Export phonebook issue

sofiane__
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I work on TMS version 14.5 and I would to export my system phonebook to file, so I followed the section "Exporting contacts to a file" described in Cisco TMS Admin Guide 14.5:

1. Create a phone book .

2. Click Connect for this phone book.
3. Select the sources you want to export contacts from.
4. For Update Type for these sources, select either Import to Cisco TMS or Import to Cisco TMS and Export to phone book source.
5. Now select the File Based Phone Book source you want to export to.
6. For Update Type for this source, select Import to Cisco TMS and Export to Phone Books Source.

The problem is when arraving at step 6 I found only I couldn't find "Import to Cisco TMS and Export to Phone Books Source" option, only "Import to TMS"  or  "Search Only" ? I don't know if it's about to export to the file and where can I find it ?

In attachment you can find screenshot.

Thanks for your help.

Sofiane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

and non-intuitive things I have come across in a long while, although once you get your head round it, you can kind of see the programmers logic (although they could have made this real simple).

You need to have a Phone Book SOURCE that is of a "File Based Phone Book", then you must select that as one of the sources in you Phone Book, and set that to "Import and Export". All the other Phone Book sources are set to import within that PhoneBook..

The Exported CSV file will then appear on the TMS Server (somewhere like "C:\Program Files (x86)\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\data\ExternalSourceFiles"), and will not be the same has the file you might have used to setup the File Based Phone Book in the first place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

and non-intuitive things I have come across in a long while, although once you get your head round it, you can kind of see the programmers logic (although they could have made this real simple).

You need to have a Phone Book SOURCE that is of a "File Based Phone Book", then you must select that as one of the sources in you Phone Book, and set that to "Import and Export". All the other Phone Book sources are set to import within that PhoneBook..

The Exported CSV file will then appear on the TMS Server (somewhere like "C:\Program Files (x86)\TANDBERG\TMS\wwwTMS\data\ExternalSourceFiles"), and will not be the same has the file you might have used to setup the File Based Phone Book in the first place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

I think it takes everyone a little bit of head scratching and fiddling with the phone books to figure out how to export something their first time.  The admin guide could have better instructions on this for sure.

To add to Chris' comment above, depending on the update schedule of the phone books you're trying to export and that of the File Based Phone Book, it might take a little while for the excel file to populate.  Of course, you could manually start the update process yourself to get the data exported right then.

Chris and Patrick,

Thank you very much for your help in resolving my issue.. I must say that I have rarely seen such a twisted way to do something ! :)))

Best regards,

Sofiane

Hello All,

In review of this article, I created the attached document "Exporting TMS Phone Books". Please let me know if this is helpful or needs any changes.

Matt Limbrick
TAC TelePresence Team Lead - Customer Support Engineer
TelePresence Solutions Group (TSG)

Hello Matt -

Your document looks correct, now if the TMS admin guide where more clear on the steps.  :)

Hello Matt,

Are there any limits to the size of the phone book txt file that you described In the Guide?  Is there a limit to how many phonebooks can be exported to the file?  I've tried to export all my phonebooks to a single file.  My phone book txt file is 11kb, but it does not contain all my phone books.

I am trying to export the TMS phonebooks to Polycom HDX systems.  They are very fickle devices.  Some of them work with TMS phonebooks and some don't!  Even ones with the same software revision and Directory settings.  I figure my best option is to export all my phonebooks to a file and try uploading that to the polycom hdx

Hello Rick,

As per the current TMS 15 Admin guide, there is no mention of limitations or details processes. Pg.186 refers on how to “Exporting Contacts to a File”, which is really the only thing mentioned in regards.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/tms/admin_guide/Cisco-TMS-Admin-Guide-15.pdf