Views
Helpful
Replies

Touch Panel 8 Failure - Message and Mute button lit

dhandy
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

We have a Touch Panel 8 connected to an SX20 encoder. The Touch Panel is unresponsive: no screen display, the message and mute buttons are both lit/steady, not pingable. We've swapped in another Touch Panel 8 using the same PoE injector into the system, and it boots correctly. Holding down the message button for 10 seconds, then tapping Mute twice has no effect. Any suggestions for other troubleshooting steps?

The unit is not under Cisco support contract unfortunately.

4 Replies 4

luisga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SX20 version? Do you have another codec that you can connect this unit? Remote or Direct pairing? Do you have the console cable for the touch panel?

It's unlikely but we can try to connect the touch panel to another system or a different version of TC and check if the software upgrade is done.

The SX20 version is TC7.1.1.168aadf, we don't have a support contract to access any newer versions. The Touch Panel pairs by IP to the encoder on the same VLAN. I do see a port on the side of the Touch Panel, but I've never had a cable for that. It looks like a four pin USB, but slimmer.

I have taken the Touch Panel to another identical encoder setup, and it fails there too using a known good PoE injector and network connection. Another working Touch Panel was also tested on the original encoder system, and it works fine.

The encoder shows the failed Touch Panel's last contact was a few months ago. (It's not a heavily used system, clearly.) All of our encoders (and Touch Panels) were updated to the same software version long before that last connection, and were all working after the update. 

luisga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All other troubleshooting that I know off will need a console cable for the touch panel, only thing else it will be to connect the touch to a codec directly (EX90 or EX60) or other units with even a previous version of TC.  If that doesn't work then you will need to get a console cable for the touch unit, but you can only get that by Cisco.

I tried searching for a diagram of the cable but didn't find any documentation to build it.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My only usggestion is to re-try the factory reset of the touch panel again (it can be a bit tricky to get the timing right on some of these button pushes some times).

If that fails to return the device to operational status, then it's likely that it is damaged and will need to be hardware replaced - so, you'll need to take out a service contract on the device to then be able to RMA the Touch panel, or buy a new Touch 8 to replace your dead one (which may be more cost effective depending on whether you want the other benefits of having an active service contract or not)..

Another option, if you're running one fo the latest verisons of software on the SX20, you could purchase one of the new Touch 10 controllers.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.