cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Touch10 listens on TCP 49152 - exploitable?

Steve Egyhazi
Level 1
Level 1

I am writing to ask if the Cisco Touch10 is vulnerable to exploit.  As I port scan a few of my company's Touch10's (three of them anyway, each paired with an SX10), they all report that they are listening on TCP port 49152.  I presume this is how the SX codec can send information back to the tablet with call information, camera state etc.  Does this single open port represent a potential security vulnerability?  Is it best practice to avoid using a public IP on the Touch10, and instead assign the Touch10 a private IP to at least mitigate exposure from the outside?  Also, do all Touch10's listen on this same port 49152?  Thanks for any comments.    

1 Reply 1

Elias Sevilla Duarte
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

TCP ports 49152 and 49153 are listening ports in the endpoint for Touch Panel auto discovery, so this ports will permanently remain listening.

From the Touch Panel's perspective, I don't know what is the port used (as a source of the auto discovery packets), so I would need to do a lab and verify the source port.

If the SX is registered to a Cisco VCS or Cisco UCM, then there is no need to use a public IP, as per the Firewall Traversal feature of the VCS/Expressway, which allows endpoints with private IP, to communicate directly with Public IPs via the VCS/Expressways.

At this point, in the latest software versions of the SX codecs, there are no much security vulnerabilities, at least that are known, though using a public IP address in the endpoints is less secure than using private IP address behind a firewall.

I hope this is of help.