Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading DX80 without CUCM

Beeza-Geeza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to upgrade my standalone DX80 from 10.2.2.3 to 10-2-5-215, hopefully this will allow me to load Skype (shows as 'not compatible with your version')

I have setup a TFTP Server on my PC and have set this IP Address for a TFTP Server on the DX80

The Zip has been unzipped to the servers root directory on my PC c:\TFTP-Root\sipdx80.10-2-5-215.loads etc

My PC is 192.168.0.31 this is the address I used on the DX80 (nowhere to put directory name)

Can't see a way to start the upgrade from the DX80

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Ade

12 Replies 12

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Update Cisco IP Phone Firmware through Third-Party TFTP Server

Regarding Skype, some applications simply aren't compatible and I believe this is one of them.

Beeza-Geeza
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Patrick, Thank you for your reply

I still however need to try and find a way to upgrade the system with a TFTP Server

See link provided in previous reply. There are also some examples in the forums on how to upgrade CUCM endpoints manually via TFTP.

Hi Patrick, Sorry did not notice the link.
Hoping you can help some more
I do not have a CUCM TFTP Server to download from, it is a standalone SX80
I have downloaded a XMLDefault.cnf.xml file in text format from the net, modified it and added to my TFTP directory on my PC
(I created it with notepad and renamed .xml, would that work or do I need xml software?)
Instructions say save it as nXMLDefault.cnf.xml (n in front, I assume that is not correct)
"change the TFTP IP address to the IP address of your Third-Party TFTP Server and Reset the Phone"
Reset the phone, the DX80 has a factory reset back to day one, is this what is meant or does reset mean reboot (tried factory reset the reboot, nothing happened)
Cheers
Ade

"Reset" in this case simply means to restart the device, not factory reset.

Still having problems upgrading over TFTP

Extracted .zip file to my Solarwinds TFTP Server software directory

bundle1.dx80.10-2-5-215.mlo, sipdx80.10-2-5-215.loads & sys1.dx80.10-2-5-215.mlo

Edited a xml file I found in these forums but I am unsure if the loadinformation number has to match the equipment type, tried: -

<loadInformation36042  model="Cisco DX80">sipdx80.10-2-5-215</loadInformation36042>

Copied the XMLDefault.cnf.xml file to the TFTP directory

My computer is on my home network and is 192.168.0.11

I have entered this IP Address on the Cisco DX80 under 'Use alternate TFPT Server'

Rebooted DX80 nothing showing in Solarwinds logs

Any help would be appreciated

Ade

-----------------------------------------

Full .xml file I am using

<Default>
<callManagerGroup>
<members>
member priority="0">
<callManager>
<ports>
<ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
<mgcpPorts>
<listen>2427</listen>
<keepAlive>2428</keepAlive>
</mgcpPorts>
</ports>
<processNodeName></processNodeName>
</callManager>
</member>
</members>
</callManagerGroup>
<loadInformation36042 model="Cisco DX80">sipdx80.10-2-5-215</loadInformation36042>
<authenticationURL></authenticationURL>
<directoryURL></directoryURL>
<idleURL></idleURL>
<informationURL></informationURL>
<messagesURL></messagesURL>
<servicesURL></servicesURL>
</Default>

HI, 

I did same process and Default XML file with DX70 firmware and able to crack issue.

I see there is some problem with XML file.

there is a slight modification -    Refer attachment.

Correct XML file post modification allow to download DX load from third party TFTP.

--------------------------------------------

<Default>
<callManagerGroup>
<members>
<member> priority="0">
<callManager>
<ports>
<ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
<mgcpPorts>
<listen>2427</listen>
<keepAlive>2428</keepAlive>
</mgcpPorts>
</ports>
<processNodeName></processNodeName>
</callManager>
</member>
</members>
</callManagerGroup>
<loadInformation36043 model="Cisco DX70">sipdx70.10-2-5-212</loadInformation36043>
<authenticationURL></authenticationURL>
<directoryURL></directoryURL>
<idleURL></idleURL>
<informationURL></informationURL>
<messagesURL></messagesURL>
<servicesURL></servicesURL>
</Default>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding TFTP file status and required firmware.

It worked for me !!!!
Thanks Saurabh

Tried with your file and still not working

I have a DX80

Do I change the 

<loadInformation36043 model="Cisco DX70">sipdx70.10-2-5-212</loadInformation36043>

to

<loadInformation36043 model="Cisco DX80">sipdx80.10-2-5-215</loadInformation36043>

or do I also need another loadInformationXXXXXX number for a DX80?

Regards

Ade

@Beeza-Geeza wrote:

I have a DX80

Do I change the

to

<loadInformation36043 model="Cisco DX80">sipdx80.10-2-5-215</loadInformation36043>

Yes, the example provided in the post you are referencing was for a DX70, so you will need to change the file to match the endpoint (DX80) and filename of the .loads file you have available on your TFTP server.

Keep in mind that running the Android software on these devices is end of sale and only supported until 1 October 2018.  It is recommended that you upgrade the endpoints to the new CE software, but doing so will remove many of the Android capabilities.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

This really is driving me mad now.

Only need to be able to upgrade from sipdx80.10-2-2-23 to sipdx80.10-2-5-215 to get Skype running again

Never used with CUCM just as a big Skype device (Skype no longer supports Android 10-2-2-23)

I have SolarWinds TFTP server running with the files in E:\TFTP\ (set in config)

TFTP Server Status shows as started

4 files in the Directory

bundle1.dx80.10-2-5-215.mlo

sipdx80.10-2-5-215.loads

sys1.dx80.10-2-5-215.mlo

XMLDefault.cnf.xml (as supplied)

Wireshark shows TFTP Read Request when the DX80 boots up

I can ping the DX80 from the PC

xml file edited to <loadInformation36042  model="Cisco DX80">sipdx80.10-2-5-215</loadInformation36042> to match software level

No activity on the TFTP Server and no upgrade

Tried using a crossover cable direct between DX80 & PC

I was unable to try CE as my support level ended with 10-2-5-215 only being allowed

Any further help would be appreciated before it turns into a very expensive monitor

Cheers

Ade