Views
Helpful
Replies

Video conference without VCS

givanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I am trying to achieve a video conference solution that can support vedio conference of 3 parties - one room and two remote offices (calling with video capable IP phones).

First of all is it possible to have this solution using CUCM only (where the three devices will be registerd) or VCS is required. I know that up to 3 parties are supported without MCU, but not sure if it can be done without VCS. If it can be done what should the room solution be? Can an SX or some MX for example handle the 3-party conference, do I need the Multiste option, etc.?

Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You need an endpoint that supports Multisite, both SX and MX series endpoints do, they can host the video conference. If Multisite isn't supported, a conference bridge such as TelePresence Server or Cisco Meeting Server will be required to host the conference. Multisite is supported regardless of what call control server the endpoint's are registered to, same goes for using TelePresence Server and Cisco Meeting Server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You need an endpoint that supports Multisite, both SX and MX series endpoints do, they can host the video conference. If Multisite isn't supported, a conference bridge such as TelePresence Server or Cisco Meeting Server will be required to host the conference. Multisite is supported regardless of what call control server the endpoint's are registered to, same goes for using TelePresence Server and Cisco Meeting Server.

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the responce!

May I ask you just one more question - is it the same if the devices are standalone, without call control registration at all? Let's say I have an SX20 (or the new Spark room kit) completely standalone at one location and two DX80s for example (again standalone) at two other branches. It is possible to have the 2 DX's join a 3-way Multisite video conference with the SX20 (and hosted on it), using H323 URL/IP dialing, right?

Thanks a lot again!

Mark Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

If all of your endpoints are registered with CUCM you do not need the VCS for what you are trying to achieve. Configure the VTC's Multipoint Mode to CUCMMediaResourceGroupList and use the CUCM ad hoc conference bridge. System Configuration -> Conference -> Multipoint mode