Views
Helpful
Replies

Videowall configuration with C Series

manuelsanchez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been looking for some solutions in the web for connecting a videowall with a Telepresence System and I have found the following:

http://www.prysm.com/assets/documents/prysm-collaboration-solutions-brief-552-00018-00.pdf

That is what I am looking for, but I have a lot of doubts about how can this work:

- A remote video input on each videowall screen depending on how many participants has joined the conference.    

I assume that the conference is connected via an MCU, how does it manage to split the diferent remote streams to position it on an specific screen? Is this something the codec can do?

- Daisy chaining cameras

I have readed something about this but it is not clear how it works. Are you able to transmit with more than one camera a at the same time in a single stream, and it is mixed by the codec? Or you have to choose wich camera want to transmit?

- Multiple presentation

Can I connect different presentation sources to the codec and choose wich one I want to transmit? Can I combine several input in a video session?

In case of been able to do all this, is the any Cisco product that will help me to switch between the different combinations?

I am very intereseted on this kind of integrations, any documentation or examples will be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Manuel

1 Reply 1

juriss
Level 1
Level 1

You did not say if you had a codec yet or if you did what model do you have (SX20, C40, C60, C90, etc)

You asked about..

- A remote video input on each videowall screen depending on how many participants has joined the conference.    

I   assume that the conference is connected via an MCU, how does it manage   to split the diferent remote streams to position it on an specific   screen? Is this something the codec can do?

The below is standard VTC options and not multi-codec Telepresence options

When doing a multisite call it can be done in 2 ways:

#1 - Multisite.... The Codec is licensed to do the video bridging, no extranal MCU and all sites connect to this system

The C series and SX 20 can a 4 way multisite (Self +3 video sites and at ;least 2 audio sites)

The best arrangement (also most $$$) is to use a C90 codec with 4 monitors connected

A  multisite call on a C90 can have Site 1 on Monitor 1, Site 2 on Monitor  2, Site 3 on Monitor 3 - Monitor 4 for presentation or self view.

A C60 is similar but with two monitors that can do Site 1 on Monitor 1 and Site 2 on Monitor 2 with PIP for selfview

This is pretty good for a embedded MCU (720P30) but is limited in the # of sites (self+3)

#2 - External MCI (e.g. 4500 or 8510) where all sites connect to the MCU

In  this arrangement you cannot have the MCU send you one stream per  particiapnt... MCU would send you one main video stream (full screeen of  speaking site or "Hollywood Squares" / Continous Presence)

If a presentation is also sent.... via H.239 dual stream the MCI sends 2 streams... 1 video and one presnetation.

The codec receiving the streams from the MCU can handle the viseo  and presenation streams spearately, just not each particiapants video  separately.

If it were my room/money...

I would buy a quality narrow bezel LCD video wall, e.g. 2x2 four screen wall like the one in the below link based on a 55"

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/x551un-tmx4p

This video wall has an internal card that allows the displays to be daisy chained and a single input (e.g. DVI)

This would give me a 110" video wall that would be driven by a single output of the C40

I would use the various "Layout" functions in the C40 to show a mix of far end video, presentation and selfview

If I was doing an in-room presentation with no VTC I could send the PC connected to the codec to a full 110" monitor

With this arrangement, there is not the ability to control what goes on each of the four 55" LCD panels....

so I cannot have 4 signals with each on the own screen....  just one 110"

However I avoid the cost of a video wall proocess and video switcher

You asked

- Daisy chaining cameras

I  have  readed something about this but it is not clear how it works. Are  you  able to transmit with more than one camera a at the same time in a   single stream, and it is mixed by the codec? Or you have to choose  wich  camera want to transmit?

Yes, with H.239 dual stream... you can send 2 camera images,  or 1 camera and one PC image or 2 PC images, it all depends on how the  various codec inputs are setup.... C90 has more inputs than C40

We  have rooms that have two camera and we send both via H.239.... the  bridge or the far end system can treat those two streams differantly.

With  the old TRC remotes.... there was an ability to press and hold the blue  presentation button and get a source menu or you can press once to get  the default source. works a little differant with touch remote

You asked...

- Multiple presentation

Can  I  connect different presentation sources to the codec and choose wich  one I  want to transmit? Can I combine several input in a video session?

Most codecs are setup for a single PC input, however on the C60/C90 you could set up a spare input to be PC#2

This  is why an input port may have two connectors (HDMI/DVI) HDMI if using the port  for a 2nd camera or DVI if the port is being used for a 2nd PC.

You  can also from end the single PC input with a 4-1 switcher... some folks  have 4 table boxes each with a VGA connection.... the Extron 4-1 could  be setup to autoswitch to the VGA port that is active or manually  switched

The C seriers physical interface  guides and admnin guides are great for info, but the challenge is to  create a room that is easy to use and reliable.   We choose to simplify  the config as much as possible... I have seen rooms that its like  launching the space shuttle to place a call and send a PPT....   KISS

A  lot depends on your budget...  A video wall processor, 8 or 16 port  matrix switcher and Crestron/AMX control systems can easily cost more that the  Displays and Codec

Hope this helps

SCJ