Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Room Kit Plus and 3rd Party IP Cameras

calvarado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm trying to find a way to have my Cisco codec and a soft codec share a pair of PTZ cameras. I'd like to use a Cisco Webex Room Kit Plus with two (2) third party IP cameras (that have an HDMI out as well), and a 3rd party control system. Is it possible for a use case like this to reliably function? Could I just feed the HDMI out of the 3rd party camera to the camera input on the Cisco codec? I'm guessing that a number of features will not be available, but I'm looking for some basic functionality and am wondering if this is even possible. 

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if you are using a 3rd party control system to control the camera, then the codec does not need to do so, so the only thing the codec needs to know is which camera(s) to show.  All your other camera control can be via your external control system.  We do this all the time - sharing camera feeds for multiple purposes, with the cameras controlled by an external system, but also fed in to the codec as a camera feed as well for the codec to use.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The room kit plus will work with any HDMI based camera source as long as it supports the same resolutions. Basic functionality should work just fine. However, I have no idea how it will function if also connected to a 3rd party system at the same time.

JFerello
Level 1
Level 1
The codec will take any video input on the HDMI ports, as long as its not HDCP (Except for one configured port). However, the control will not work. The Cisco codecs use a proprietary "VISCA over IP"; there are only (2) 3rd party cameras that are supported for control at this time:
Sony SRG-120DH
Sony EVI-120DH
Thanks,
Justin Ferello

Thank you for the reply. If I'm not mistaken, this scenario is assuming that the Cisco codec would be controlling the cameras. If I am using a 3rd party controller, I should be able to run an RS232 signal to the codec and should be able to control my cameras via IP whether using them with the codec or the soft codec-- am I missing something here? 

Thanks again!

Yes, if you are using a 3rd party control system to control the camera, then the codec does not need to do so, so the only thing the codec needs to know is which camera(s) to show.  All your other camera control can be via your external control system.  We do this all the time - sharing camera feeds for multiple purposes, with the cameras controlled by an external system, but also fed in to the codec as a camera feed as well for the codec to use.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.