cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2900 , 3900 Gen 2 routers

adnan.akbar
Level 1
Level 1

does the ISR 3900 Gen 2 router has any video over ip features or advantages over the 2900 ?

i have an overseas branch connected to my centralized CUCM via a leased line  with a number of phones and 1  telepresesnce end point , im not sure whether to go with the 2900 or the 3900  ?

can anyone help me on that

regards ,

4 Replies 4

Michael O'Brien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We will need a bit more info to determine which router is the best fit for your branch office.  You should consult your local SE for these design and implementation related questions.  There is a BIG difference between the 2900 and 3900 both in price and performance. (3925, 3945, 2951, 2921, 2911, 2901)

The 3925E (G2) is generally 2-4 times faster than the 3925 (G1) depending on application, so this means the 3925E can handle alot more data or media sessions than the 3925.  Also the 3925E can server twice the number of IPSec/AES Tunnels as the 3925. And the 3925E can handle

3 and a half times more IPSec tunnels than the 2921.

Before choosing an ISR for your application we must determine what applications besides the TP and IP phones at this location.  We have many design guides available on cisco.com Website which can help you make design related decisions.

Cheers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/C96-582851-00_ISRG2_ST_v2b.pdf

thanks Michael , i have noticed the difference between the two categories . however i could not find anything related to rich media  features.

im only using the Branch for those 5 phones and 1 TP , no other services on the branch , not even internet access .  as a quick recommendation  , would you go for the 2900 or the 3900 ?

Hi Adnan, this seems like a small office environment, in which the 2900 series routers can

work very well for you.  Since TelePresence will be one of your biggest applications I have

added a link for you to look at the TelePresence Design Guide which will help you understand

the network and bandwidth specifications.  The "Branch QoS Design for TelePresence" section

will guide you with QoS configurations.

Cheers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/TP-Book.html

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you ever considered consulting with an expert to help you with purchasing decisions and network desing ?