Views
Helpful
Replies

Telepresence endpoints unregister after 5 mins

t.farkas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have a strange behaviour of Telepresence endpoints (MX300, SX20, DX70), as those are unregistering 5 mins after reboot.

We installed a TelePresence network in last December, with MX300, and several SX20 endpoints. Call control and provisioning is made by a CallManager, version 10.5.2.
It worked fine until last week, when customer reported that endpoints are unregistering unexpectedly.
The symptom is the following:
- after switching an endpoint on, it registers into CallManager

- It keeps sending Registration SIP messages by 80 secs. After about 5 mins, the endpoint Unregisters due to SipTransaction time out, and won't register again
- we saw that a register message does not reach the callmanager, that is why the endpoint decides to unregister
- after unregistering, if I set the SIP Proxy in endpoint's configuration, the unit registers again, and do not drop registration (until teh next reboot)
- the same (unregistration) happens at every rebbot, after about 5 mins; but never happens after the proxy address is set manually

The symptom is independent of

- the type of the system: it happens with MX300, SX20, DX70, even with SIP phones (eg 8831)
- fw version: MX300 and SX20s have CE8.2.1, and TC7.3.6; DX70 has CE8.3
- independent, if I set the Proxy with FQDN or IP address;
- independent if the endpoint is provisioned by CallManager or by TMS

There are a few questions that I could not find answer for:

The loss of the Register message is caused by the network most probably; but:
- Why it is happening ONLY after system start/restart, and do not occurs later on?
- Unregistration (loss of Register message) always happens about 5 mins after system start; although the REGISTER message is exactly the same every time; what can be the difference?
- The unit won't try to register again after that packet loss; why? Only when changing SIP Proxy setting manually, it sends Register again.

If anyone had similar effect, or has any idea, all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tibor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

sorry I just noticed your comment.

So according to our logs the firewall caused the issue, as sip inspection was enabled on it.

Regards,

Tibor

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tibor,

A bug was filed for this exact behavior for these endpoints , but it was for devices registering via MRA

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvc75371/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

TSval integer to close to 2^32 after boot, dropping connections
CSCvc75371
Description
Symptom:
When SX10/20/MX300G2 registers over MRA on ce8.2.2 or TC7.3.7 it gets unregistered after 5 min of restart of unit and get register back automatically

Conditions:
Devices are registering over MRA to CUCM on ce8.2.2 or tc7.3.7.
This happens due to system sending lower time stamp packets which firewall drops.

Workaround:
NA
I your case as well, is it only with MRA in picture?
Manish
- Do rate helpful posts -

Hi Manish,

actually there is no MRA in our case...

Also a difference, that endpoints won't register again automatically, only by a manual intervention (config change)

So I do not think this bug would fit. However I will check this issue with the firewalls.

Thanks,

Tibor

Hi Tibor,

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing your issue with the video endpoints unregistering. I'm dealing with a similar issue where numerous endpoints unregister randomly. Once unregistered, the only way I've found to register them again is to either reboot them or modify the config.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi,

sorry I just noticed your comment.

So according to our logs the firewall caused the issue, as sip inspection was enabled on it.

Regards,

Tibor