cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

App-hosting memory Catalyst 9300

Dale Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, having trouble installing ThousandEyes Ent. agent on a cisco catalyst 9300.  TE support says there isn't enough memory allocated to the app-hosting platform, should be 2GB and displays only 256MB.

Has anyone had experience of this and know how to fix it please?

#sho app-hosting resource
CPU:
Quota: 800(Units)
Available: 800(Units)
Memory:
Quota: 256(MB)
Available: 256(MB)
Storage space:
Total: 10000(MB)
Available: 10000(MB)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, yes we did get a resolution to it.
The app-hosting environment was not able to allocate 4GBytes of memory from the switch flash storage. This is a requirement for app-hosting.
In our case this was because there were numerous versions of IOS XE stored in the flash memory, so the system only had 3.8GBytes available. In such cases the app-hosting environment uses a default template reducing the amount of system resources available to it.
Once we completed an ‘install remove inactive’ on the switch to remove older IOSXE version, the switch had over 4GBytes of flash memory available to allocate to app-hosting environment.
Completing ‘no iox’ to shutdown app-hosting and restarting it with’iox’ command enabled the ThousandEyes template to allocate the full resources required.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Dale Shaw

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

This is configurable, see the following documentation:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/prog/configuration/176/b_176_programmability_cg/m_176_prog_app_hosting.html

Excerpt:

Example: Overriding App Resource Configuration

This example shows how to override an app resource configuration.

Device# configure terminal
Device(config)# app-hosting appid iox_app
Device(config-app-hosting)# app-resource profile custom
Device(config-app-resource-profile-custom)# cpu 7400 
Device(config-app-resource-profile-custom)# memory 2048
Device(config-app-resource-profile-custom)# vcpu 2
Device(config-app-resource-profile-custom)# end
Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Thanks for your advice Torbjorn.  Is this for when the app is installed?  My issue is that ThousandEyes doesn't install, it starts but bombs out after 10-20 seconds.

I have installed this on other switches and it worked without having to amend any app profiles.

I would uninstall then reinstall with the resource configuration in place. 

Haven't had to apply resource configuration before unless I have been running multiple apps. Is there anything that makes that specific switch different from the others? 

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

It looks to be an issue post IOS-XE upgrade.

The switch where it doesn't install was recently upgraded to 17.9.4a from 16.12.4 and the app-hosting resource seems to be locked at 256MB.

CPU:
Quota: 25(Percentage)
Available: 25(Percentage)
VCPU:
Count: 2
Memory:
Quota: 256(MB)
Available: 256(MB)
Storage space:
Total: 10827(MB)
Available: 7279(MB)

But a switch still on 17.6.3 shows 2GB available

CPU:
Quota: 25(Percentage)
Available: 25(Percentage)
VCPU:
Count: 2
Memory:
Quota: 2048(MB)
Available: 2048(MB)
Storage space:
Total: 3904(MB)
Available: 3490(MB)

Thanks for your advice Torbjorn, I think I'll have to log it with TAC.

Hi @Dale Shaw - welcome to our support community! 

I ran your situation by our support experts and they agree with @Torbjørn's excellent run down and advice - if this was working prior to, and broke after upgrade, contacting TAC is the best course of action.  

Hi Tyler, thanks for the comments.

This is an issue on a switch that has never had the TE agent installed on it before. 

The reference to upgrades was just explaining that I can install TE agent on a different switch with 17.6.3 without issues but I cannot install it on any switch with 17.9.4a.  However if the TE agent was installed prior to upgrading from 17.6.3 to 17.9.4a it still works.

I have a ticket raised with a support partner, hopefully it will make it's way to TAC and I can get a fix for it.

I'll update with any news I get.

Hi Dale,

Out of curiosity was TAC support able to figure out why the switch had a memory quota of 256mb?

I'm running into a similar issue.

Hi, yes we did get a resolution to it.
The app-hosting environment was not able to allocate 4GBytes of memory from the switch flash storage. This is a requirement for app-hosting.
In our case this was because there were numerous versions of IOS XE stored in the flash memory, so the system only had 3.8GBytes available. In such cases the app-hosting environment uses a default template reducing the amount of system resources available to it.
Once we completed an ‘install remove inactive’ on the switch to remove older IOSXE version, the switch had over 4GBytes of flash memory available to allocate to app-hosting environment.
Completing ‘no iox’ to shutdown app-hosting and restarting it with’iox’ command enabled the ThousandEyes template to allocate the full resources required.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Dale Shaw

Tyler Langston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for sharing the resolution of this @Dale Shaw - are you alright if I mark your response here as a solution so that future folks will see that your issue was resolved and how?

Hi Tyler, yes please feel free to mark it resolved. Hopefully someone will find the information useful and save them raising a TAC case.

Regards

Dale Shaw