Views
Helpful
Replies

ThousandEyes Enterprise agent deployment via DNAC

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i'm installing ThousandEyes app on cisco 9300L switch  with version 17.6.2 via DNA center version 2.2.3.5, during the installation steps is mandatory to provide an ip address for the agent statically or dinamically . To configure a static address, the only option is to upload a csv file containing the network configuration for the agent, is possible to download a template and easily fill in the information needed but i don't see any option to use multiple DNS servers, does anyone know if this is possible?

Regards,

10 Replies 10

Ho Balaji,
thanks for the reply, I see in the video that only a single DNS server is provided into the csv so my question is if it's possible to add a second DNS server in the csv file.
Thank you very much

yes, that is a good question since I have LB DNS, never bothered to look at that point. as per the excel, I do not think that allows. but try adding another DNS entry and try add that excel ( see what error it splits)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

i tried adding the second ip address in the same filed but i obviously display an error saying that the entry is incorrect, i also tried to add another "DNS IP" filed in the CSV but in this case the second entry overwrites the first one

thank you for testing, it help for cisco feature request i guess here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

sure, hoping they can add this field, by now i'll go to use dynamic addressing to obtain more DNS servers from DHCP server.

Regards,

Hallo Balaji, Thanks for your useful answers. 
I am integrating ThousandEyes with Cisco DNA center, it needs IP address, VLAN and HTTPS credentials. 
Could you please guide me regarding this? Which IP does it mean and VLAN, as i have different IPs configured with different VLANS. 

Thank your for a feedback. 

Hi @ahmedaburaihan - I ran your question by our experts and have some input for you:

Typically the IP and VLAN is the guest IP that will be assigned to the agent, and the VLAN is the VLAN that the agent will be deployed into. The https credentials are usually the credentials of the switch login interface so DNAC can create the agent on the device.

A direct link to relevant documentation (including tutorial video) is below, along with a blog post overview of Cisco DNA Center and ThousandEyes.

Resources:
Installing Enterprise Agents on Cisco Switches with the DNA Center | ThousandEyes Documentation 

Better Together: Cisco DNA Center and ThousandEyes - Cisco Blogs

Hi @Tyler Langston, thank you for your reply. 

In most cases, there are more than a VLAN available in a Switch. Choosing which VLAN to be used, does it affect the monitoring space? I already studies the resources but i could not find the answer to my question which is: Which IP address to be used and which VLAN? Let suppose if we choose VLAN10 with ip 192.168.1.10, will the monitoring be isolated within this range? 

Thank you for a Feedback!

Hi @ahmedaburaihan - these are great questions! When it comes to detailed specifics I won't be able to provide that level of support here on the Community page. However, I did get some input from our experts that could help, and if that doesn't sort your question I'd want you to open a chat with our Support Team (Instructions on doing that here).

At a more general level, here's some advice our engineers had:

This kind of setup will be very specific to the customer's environment. As long as they have inter-vlan routing configured, and no firewall policies/ACLs that prevent traffic from the Agent's VLAN, the Agent will be able to probe devices outside of its VLAN.

The biggest limitation from our end for VLAN selection is that the AppGig interface that app-hosting uses to forward traffic to and from the Agent's container cannot be on the native/default VLAN. We have a small blurb in yellow under this heading on our documentation.