cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

add users to CUCM and IM&P VM template change?

tdudas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Customer is about to add more users (3700) to CUCM cluster (based on template 7500), so I think there are two ways.

Current version on CUCM is 10.5 and they also want to make upgrade to 11.5/12.5.

Option I.

CUCM VM template 10.5

CallCtrl: 7,500 users26 GB1 x 110GB1
CallCtrl: 10,000 users46 GB1 x 110GB1

CUCM VM template 11.5/12.5

CallCtrl: 7,500 users28 GB1 x 110GB1
CallCtrl: 10,000 users48 GB1 x 110GB1

Can I just modifiy the existing VM templates for each of the CUCM (1 PUB, 2x SUBs)

> by increasing vCPU (2 >> 4)

> and vRAM (6 >> 8)

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html#resize_vm

if this is fine I think after that PCD can be use to make CUCM Cluster upgrade.

The Cluster also has two IM&P servers based on 5000 user tample. 

IM&P 10.5.2

5000 users (Full UC)24 GB2 x 80GB1
15000 users (Full UC)48 GB2 x 80GB1

IM&P 11.5/12.5

5000 users (Full UC)24 GB2 x 80GB1
1500 users (Full UC)48 GB2 x 80GB1

Can I just modifiy the existing VM templates for each of the IM&P servers

> by increasing vCPU (2 >> 4)

> and vRAM (4 >> 8)

if this is also fine I think after that PCD can be use to make IM&P upgrade as well.

Option II.

alternatively more servers can be added (to increase capacity) to the existing cluster with PCD, but the CUCM still needs the vRAM to be amended from 6GB to 8GB and need of course resource on the host device (this can not be done PCD, still need to amend VM template first, if Iam correct on it.

Am I correct on the options here?

Many thanks,

Tibor

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, option one is a viable approach. I suggest deploying a 10000 user OVA just long enough to check the CPU and memory reservations so you can match those as well.

I lack enough context to comment on the scale-out aspect to option two. This may be necessary but it depends on the overall design of the cluster. For example, scaling to a minimum of five nodes (pub, TFTP primary/secondary, and CCM call processing primary/secondary) is called for when the cluster exceeds 1250 devices. You did not mention how many nodes are in the cluster currently.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab12/collab12/callpros.html

Hello Jonathan,

Yes, you are right on the number of  nodes for CUCM

(Actually 1 pub, 2x sub, 1x TFTP there is no secondary TFTP)

Option II - adding servers instead of increasing VM template for CUCM and IM&P - can also be a valid option here?

Apart from CUCM and IM&P customer has PLM, CUC (2x servers) and UCCX (2x servers 300>400 required)

I need to do DRS on CUC and UCCX since only newly built template is recommended and supported for them changing VM template for these applications.

After having the correct VM Template for all the servers PCD can do upgrade task for me to complete?

Many thanks,

Tibor

Jake3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can do what you are mentioning.  Upgrade resources and then upgrade the cluster.  PCD will make the process a bit easier as you have mentioned. 

Moving to the 12.# versions will require a move to smart licensing as well.  It's not a difficult process, but you need to be aware.