Views
Helpful
Replies

Application Server in CUCM : Unity Connection

nirmalissac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

In call manager, we manually add CUPS as application server in System ---> Application Server, and Unity Connection automatically gets added here.

Can someone please explain what exactly is the purpose of adding Application server? Today I was troubleshooting an issue. Our UCS server failed, and we rebuilt Call Manager Subscriber and Unity Publisher server. DB replication was complete and all VM ports were registered to the CCM. But when we press message button on phone or dial VM pilot, all we could hear is ringing tone. No Unity greeting, it just keeps ringing.

We checked call manager traces, and we could see CCM calling each VM port top-down, but it doesnt hit the greeting. (Could not monitor Unity port status as I was accessing from remote PC). Atlast, we noticed that Unity is not listed in the Application server list. We added Unity as an Application server, and then the calls started hitting greeting.

My doubt is, what exactly is the role of Application server configuration. In forums, I read that it is used for IPSec communication, and Call manager accepts signals only if the Unity / CUPS is added as AS. If so, how did the VM ports got registered when Unity connection was not added earlier as AS?

My Unity version is 8.6.2ES25.21900-25.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi

please find the below documnet will help you to understand the application server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmcfg/b02apsrv.html

but this is not your issue , your VM ports are not registered this the problem. In my configuration i do not use application server .

1-check that CUCM can ping and reach CUC.

2-Check on CUC that the name of the port group match the name of your port group on CUM , for example in CUCM we create CiscoVMI   (in CUC the port group must match CiscoVMI) .

3-Check the ports on your CUC that are enabled.

4-CUC servicability activate services.

5- phone system on your CUC  use edit-AXl  servers (type the IP pf your CUCM) and in AXL use the same username and P.W  of CUCM admin.

6-port group on CUC use edit servers ( Check that you use the IP addresses of your pub and subscriber and they are in the correct arrangement).

7-on your CUCM please check the hunt list contains your hunt group of VM.

Check all and let me now the results , may be you for get some thing.

Thank you

please rate if this will help

Kamal,

All the VM ports were already registered to Call Manager.

My question is, what exactly is the purpose of adding a server as Application server, I mean in what part of the communication between CUCM and Unity/Presence does this configuration comes to play. The document you provided just explains the fields in the confgiuration page. It doesnt explain the significance of Application server configuration.

And, after I added Unity as Application server, VM started functioning.