Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying Exchange 2003 KB926666 can cause Unity problems

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Yesterday we discovered any Unity service that runs under the unitymsgstore account permissions will have problems once you apply the Exchange 2003 SP2 hotfix KB926666 to the Unity server WITHOUT having the partner Exchange server's store.exe at the correct version. It appears the KB926666 includes an updated version of the Store.exe which includes KB895949. This is the "Send As" permission behavior change in Exchange 2003. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895949

You will need to coordinate your Unity updates with the Exchange server updates. For your information, Unity failed when partnered to a server with store.exe version 6.5.7638.2. Unity did not have problems when partnered with a server with store.exe version 6.5.7651.14 (who had also applied KB895949). Removing the Exchange 2003 KB926666 from the problem Unity server and rebooting fixed the problem. P.S. Unity version 4.2(1).

Ginger

5 Replies 5

johnaceti
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ginger,

I am in a simliar situation and somewhat confused. My Customer has an exchange 2003 cluster of two machines and a Unity 4.x server.

When the KB926666 is applied to his Exchange 2003 servers they no longer communicate with Unity. The unity box already has the KB926666 patch applied.

Is there something we are missing here?

Please refer to the Field Notice (released on 22 Feb 2007). Hope this can help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_field_notice09186a00807dcf40.shtml

Hi -

I referenced this alert to Cisco when I called TAC this past Tuesday. All of the permissions for the Unity_Servername account were fine, Unity Message Store Service account had explicit Send As permissions and inheritance checked. If you are running Unity in a unified messaging config with Exchange offbox, I would remove the KB926666 from the Unity server. That is what I have done. With the KB on the Exchange server and NOT on Unity, all works OK. With the KB on the Unity server, it flat does not work and multiple Unity services are broken, specifically AvMsgStoreMonitor and AvNotifier. Something you may want to check is that I believe the KB926666 for Exchange has two versions, one for clustered environment and another for non-clustered Exchange.

Ginger

Our client is of a clustered environment. We tried as you suggested and does not help. I was not aware of two versions of this patch but will verify they installed the right one.

BTW my customer is using 4.1(1) without ES34