Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance Needed: Call Blocking Config on Cisco 2911 Voice Gateway

Ashwin Joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Support Community,

I'm reaching out to seek assistance regarding a call-blocking issue I'm encountering on my Cisco 2911 Voice Gateway. Here's a breakdown of the situation:

Issue: I have a requirement from a client to block calls from an external PSTN number. To achieve this, I've configured translation rules in the voice gateway, but despite the configuration, calls from the specified PSTN number are still coming through.

Configuration:

Need to block -86460227

voice translation-rule 10
rule 1 reject /86460227/

voice translation-profile SCAM_CALL_BLOCK
translate calling 10

voice-port 0/0/0:15
translation-profile incoming SCAM_CALL_BLOCK

Observation: Despite the configuration, calls from the specified PSTN number (86460227) are not being blocked as expected. Upon testing and debugging, it appears that the translation rule is being skipped.

Debug Output:

*Feb 16 04:16:13.529: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/RXRULE/regxrule_match: Skipping a call block rule; number=86460227 rule precedence=1
*Feb 16 04:16:13.529: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/RXRULE/regxrule_match: Matched a call block rule; number=86460227 rule precedence=1

Test Output:
VoiceGW#test voice translation-rule 10 86460227
86460227 blocked on rule 1

Request for Assistance: I need guidance on why the call block rule is being skipped and what potential solutions can be explored to ensure that calls from the specified PSTN number are effectively blocked.

Attempts Made: I've attempted to refine the rule by specifying it as rule 1 reject /^86460227$/, but unfortunately, this hasn't resolved the issue.

Your insights and suggestions on resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did a mock up of this on one of our voice gateways and something along this is what you'd need.

rule 1 reject /^86460227$/ ! You want to be as specific as possible with the match statement, ie include start and end with

translate calling 10

dial-peer voice 100 pots ! The commands used to block calls are not applicable on voice ports, you need to put them on the inbound dial peer for calls coming from PSTN. so you'd need to adopt this to fit the configuration you have
 call-block translation-profile incoming SCAM_CALL_BLOCK
 call-block disconnect-cause incoming call-reject

See this excellent blog post by Amy for more details on how to set this up and how to test it. Blocking a call on a Cisco voice gateway 

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Your not applying the voice translation profile in the correct way for it to block calls. See this post for an outline on how to properly set this up. https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-knowledge-base/block-incoming-calls-based-off-of-ani-incoming-or-originating/ta-p/3129236

Response Signature

Did a mock up of this on one of our voice gateways and something along this is what you'd need.

rule 1 reject /^86460227$/ ! You want to be as specific as possible with the match statement, ie include start and end with

translate calling 10

dial-peer voice 100 pots ! The commands used to block calls are not applicable on voice ports, you need to put them on the inbound dial peer for calls coming from PSTN. so you'd need to adopt this to fit the configuration you have
 call-block translation-profile incoming SCAM_CALL_BLOCK
 call-block disconnect-cause incoming call-reject

See this excellent blog post by Amy for more details on how to set this up and how to test it. Blocking a call on a Cisco voice gateway 

Response Signature

Ashwin Joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Roger,

I greatly appreciate your assistance. The configuration you recommended worked flawlessly. I hadn't realized that translation profiles, which block calls, cannot be applied to voice ports. However, I still have one question: when we use call-block at the Dial-Peer level, do we need to implement "rule 1 reject /^86460227$/" at the translation rule level?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards

Ashwin

No that is not explicitly required, but it is best practices to be as specific as possible in the match statement. Hence why I included ^, meaning start with and $, meaning ends with.

Response Signature