cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use the existing VCS-C and VCS-E to work as Expressway C and Expressway E?

ronyran01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a working setup with VCS-C and VCS-E with all my video endpoints registering to the VCS (running 8.5.1). We have many Jabber clients which are registered to the Cisco UCM. The requirement is to enable these Jabber clients to login from Internet without VPN, for which we need to deploy the Collaboration Edge platform.

I would like to know if the present VCS-C and VCS-E can be used to function as Expressway C and Expressway E? if yes, do I need to buy any software license to make it work? i read a post where it says that 8.5.x version supports Mobile and Remote Access.

Ronyran

3 Replies 3

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

Switching between VCS "mode" and Expressway "mode" is purely a license/feature key issue. Just bear in mind what features are supported in which mode.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thank you Gordon. Does it mean that when I switch to "expressway" mode, I cannot have my video endpoints to register to it anymore?

I dont have a CUCM ready yet for making my endpoints register. that would be my next step. Currently I only want the Jabber users to login from internet. In such a case, should i setup a parrallel Expressway C and Expressway E, without touching my VCS-C and VCS-E? Does such a parrallel setup works well?

Ronyran

-The video endpoint registration is restricted to VCS series, you cannot register endpoint on Expressway Series.

NOTE: I think Cisco is still missing a migration option from Traversal License to Rich Media Session.

-You can do MRA via VCS, there's a dedicated guide here

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-1/Mobile-Remote-Access-via-VCS-Deployment-Guide-X8-1-1.pdf

OR

-You can deploy a parallel copule of Expressways dedicated to MRA. you need:

--the activation license / is a 0,00 $ SKU to enable Expressway mode and to promote one expressway to EXP E 

--a public IP address / for EXP E

If your jabber client registered from inside are currently able to call video endpoint registered on VCS you just need to set up the Expressways for MRA.

Here the guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-5/Mobile-Remote-Access-via-Expressway-Deployment-Guide-X8-5.pdf

Regards

Sandro