cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can update device package(firmware of phone) of cucm V11.5.1 on cucm V9.1.1 server?

fly
Level 2
Level 2

I want to keep old firmware of phone, because we have many phones,don't want to update firmware of phones

thank you!

6 Replies 6

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Although the description of the issue/question is not very clear I would like to mention the following points:

1. Device packages are cucm version specific. You can not use a device pack of 9.1 on 11.5 and vice versa

2. You have the option to keep the existing firmware for the phones running on CUCM 9.1 when you upgrade to 11.5 by specifying the existing firmware version name in the "Phone Load Name" field on the cucm phone config page. However, this is not recommended as you will lose the new features and bug fixes that come with the new firmware.

HTH

Manish

Hi ,Manish

thank you!

my customer cucm version is 9.1.1, and update device package longtime ago which is compatible with V9.1.1

now we want to upgrade cucm 9.1.1 to V11.5.1, I have to options for the old phones' firmware:

1 keep phone firmware as old version under cucm V9.1.1, I know I will modify device default to old firmware file, but I don't know is there any compatible problem between phone and new cucm V11.5.1,  if some phones can't register to V11.5.1 cucm ,there is a huge problem

2 update to new firmware version which is under or compatible with cucm V11.5.1,but I study the document said  it is better to update phone's firmware to latest firmware before upgrade cucm , and then upgrade cucm from V9.1.1 to V11.5.1,in this option , I will update latest phone device package (phone firmware) which is compatible with or under cucm v11.5.1 on cucm V9.1.1 server, I don't know if I intall this latest device package on cucm V9.1.1 , is there any compatible problem ?

thank you

tom

Simply go to the downloads site, look for the device(s) you have in your network, and look at the FW version you want, to find out if it's compatible or not.

It always shows up there, like this:

7811/7821/7841/7861 SIP IP Phone load signed COP file - Compatible CUCM Versions: 8.5(1)+ 

9971 SIP IP Phone load signed COP file - Compatible CUCM Versions: 7.1(5)+ 

The RN/README for every DevPack explains exactly what phone FW will be installed by it, just as it explains for which CUCM release it's meant for. Even if you tried to install the 11.5 DevPack right now, it would have simply prevented you from doing so.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi,Jaime,

I didn't find this: 

7811/7821/7841/7861 SIP IP Phone load signed COP file - Compatible CUCM Versions: 8.5(1)+ 

9971 SIP IP Phone load signed COP file - Compatible CUCM Versions: 7.1(5)+

or I have to down load whole device package,and check this information inside the file?

another question:

I can't install/update V11.5.1 device package on V9.1.1 CUCM, is this right?

I have to install latest firmware device package compatible with V9.1.

actually , I found latest device package in V9.1 , the phone firmware version is same as in device package V11.5.1. so although the version of device package is different,but actually phone firmware version is same, So I have to install/update latest V9.1 device package , and after I upgrage to V11.5.1 I will not need to update phone firmware? is this right?

thank you!

Tom

Hi Tom,

For the first question, just check the Readme file for the device pack, it contains the compatible cucm version and the list of firmware versions of all the phone models that come with it.

To your second question - right, you cannot install dev pack for 11.5 on your 9.1 version of cucm as I mentioned in my initial post.

And if the firmware version in the device pack for 9.1 is the same as you would get with the 11.5 version then the phone firmware will not be required to be upgraded.

HTH

Manish

Hi,Manish, I discuss some problem i metioned with an expert from cisco,he suggest to test phone firmware.

due to customer's securiy policy , I can't connect PCD to customer ESXi admin interface directly , they can't allow open esxi admin interface to us.

So we try to create a temprarary lab to migrate and upgrade CUCM

I create another discuss,

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13138556/create-temparary-lab-upgrade-cucm-version-911-version-1151

we find a third party ESXi server a chinese manufacture, not UCS, I am afraid that server can't support CUCM.

thank  you

Tom