Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco BE6K-M6-K9 - Port-channel

Cyon38
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need help. I have 2 switches that are in stack mode(WS-C3850-12XS). I have 2 server with 2x2 connect in port-channel mode auto and working.

as soon as I put the Cisco (ESXi) in port-channel, I lost connection.. I have all the settings the same.

interface Port-channel11
description Cisco-Server

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/9
description Cisco-Server
switchport trunk allowed vlan 90,100
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 11 mode auto

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/9
description Cisco-Server
switchport mode trunk
shutdown
channel-group 11 mode auto

I had to shut down t2/0/9 port for my VMs to ping and work on the cisco server.

9 Replies 9

ammahend
VIP
VIP

try mode as "active" instead of "auto" and see if it works

-hope this helps-

Did you check your server-side configuration. ?

How is load balancing configured in the vSwitch? If the LAN switches are doing a port channel, you must configure the vSwitch load balancing to be 'IP Hash'.

Cyon38
Level 1
Level 1

Good day.

I have other vSan's(2 x big ESXi) servers running and no problem with the port-channels.

on the CISCO Server(ESXi), What I have noticed is that when I turn the other nic on "no sh", on the switches, the VMs stop working on the vla90 but my management interface on the ESXi still works, I can change settings but I can't ping the VMs.

wonder if there is a problem with the port groups on Cisco ESXi.

Cyon38_2-1697961244686.png

The trunk switch on CISCO ESXi.

Cyon38_1-1697960826322.png

I have port channels on Cisco servers running ESXi in my lab and in production at tons of different customers, so I don't think there is a problem there. I have distributed Vswitches with LACP in my lab (LACP would be required if you make the channel group mode active in the switch), so it isn't exactly the same as yours. In the distributed port groups, you have to go to "teaming and failover" on EACH port group and set the load balancing to "IP hash". Look at teaming and failover in the port group for vl90.

Config port channel as trunk and allow vlan.

The port channel must config same as each port member of this PO.

I just looked at the switch config again, and I noticed that it doesn't look like the "interface Port-channel11" section is the same as the physical interfaces (TenGigabitEthernet1/0/9 and TenGigabitEthernet2/0/9). Those have to be the same. Perhaps you just omitted it, but it should look like this.

interface Port-channel11
description Cisco-Server
switchport mode trunk

The other item is it should be "channel-group 11 mode ON" for the physical interfaces, not "auto". I would still confirm the load balancing for the port group for vl90.

Cyon38
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Thank you, I did change the Cisco switch to the settings. no luck. Think the problem is on ESXi. I created a new port group -(voice (VLAN 90)), changed the VM's network, and boom, it works!

Thank you all for the support.

One times I see same case.

The issue if you wrong config PO then correct it will not work.

You need to readd new PO.

Anyway glad your issue is solve 

MHM