cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Cius -- anyone want one?

Laura Douglas
Level 6
Level 6

Background: I've spent my career in storage hardware and software for the enterprise ... think mainframe disk arrays, tape libraries, storage area networks, backup and archive software ... you get the picture.

So to work for a company that makes fun Flip camcorders, TelePresence, WebEx conferencing, IM, video phones, video sharing portals, etc ... and an integrated portal software (Quad) that ties it all together for one-stop shopping ... this is "big fun"!   But I have to say the big fun became "gigantic fun" today with the announcement of Cisco Cius!

Anyone else want one, besides me?!

Laura

66 Replies 66

ERNESTO_VE
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Cius, una tablet Android para el mercado empresarial

Posiblemente la primera tablet que publicamos que no tiene interés para el gran público, y es que Cisco Cius es un producto específicamente creado para el mercado empresarial. Pero me parece interesante compartir con vosotros esta presentación, ya que nos encontramos con una tablet de 7 pulgadas orientada a la gestión de correo y videoconferencia en alta definición.

Continua en: http://www.xataka.com/tablets/cisco-cius-una-tablet-android-para-el-mercado-empresarial

mljevakovic
Level 3
Level 3

How can I get one? Is it free of charge?

Hello,

You could order through a Cisco authorized channel reseller partner. If you do not have an established relationship with a channel partner at this time, the following link can help you locate authorized reseller partners in your area for further discussions. Search on partners in your area for Unified Communications here:

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

Additional information on Cius can be found on Cisco.com at:

www.cisco.com/go/cius

regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

Kirk,

I just wanted to put another point forward, in your statement; "

Those that you've cited above are by design consumer solutions - with varying degrees of focus on communications and computing while largely focused on entertainment, gaming and social media. So that should be noted in response."

I no longer think this is a standpoint that any company can take as the "consumers" are pushing their business to adopt the technology. I think the latest stat I saw was 60% of Fortune 100 have adopted the iPad into their business in one form or another. I realize the purpose of the devices is different, but people have tendancy to figure out how to make it work in their environments.

Just a point...

Bob James

Hi Bob,

Totally agree with you and so does Cisco (any content, any device, anywhere). In fact, figure I'd seen was even higher - think it was 80% but whether 60 or 80, your point is well founded. Anecdotal but customers I speak to in briefings - I'd say this is about right in terms of numbers kicking the tires (full implementation's are rare).

That noted and my point was, that consumer solutions were introduced and designed for a different market need. The interest by enterprises to employ such a device has spawned many of these vendors to look into ways they can extend their offerings into this space.

There remain considerations for enterprises taking on consumer tablets. Service and support. Security. Understanding what applications are running on the device. Application interop and assurances. Regulatory compliance and support. QoS assurance and policies. These are values that will be brought to market with Cisco Cius. I've been in front of numerous customers at EBC's who have consumer tablets now - but are thinking about the above considerations and exploring Cius because of them.

Just as with other endpoints from Cisco - whether they're 9900 Series, 8900 Series, Unified Personal Communicator, TelePresence EX and systems, no one size fits all for user needs/preferences and IT objectives. We think Cius will address market transitions underway around virtualization, ubiquitous connectivity (wi-fi and 4G and even wired connectivity, if desired), HD video + video interop, Cisco Collaboration and Android apps, security and manageability and provide enterprise class service and support.

A nice blog on this subject by Tom Puorro of IPCBU is on the Cisco Colloboration Blog site which is here:

http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/transforming-business-processes-with-business-tablets-like-the-cisco-cius/#comments

Thanks Bob for your ongoing contributions and making our Collab Community a vibrant place for exchange and discussion. And for being a Cisco supporter as well!

Keep it up..appreciate the feedback as always!

Kirk

michael1996
Level 1
Level 1

Is this still available? cius is end of life right?

Hello Michael,

Yes, Cius remains available for customers who seek an IT managed and deployed mobile collaboration device.

Cisco has chosen to double its efforts on collaboration software applications for third party mobile devices, such as tablets and smartphones, in light of bring your own device (BYOD) uptake within the enterprise and customer and partner feedback. See this blog for further information: http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/empowering-choice-in-collaboration/

If you are an end customer, reach out to your advanced unified communications channel partner to discuss all the available options, including Cius, that are available to your business and what might be the best fit to meet your needs.

Regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Marketing

Cisco Systems