cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS and unity port

annayuzhao
Level 1
Level 1

On the CCM ,unity voice mail port configuration section, there are device CSS and directory CSS, I understand this works with repect to phones, but I didn't see how it works in the unity port. Each port can have a CSS, but why need device CSS for unity port? When do I need to assign CSS both in the device and directory? thanks

6 Replies 6

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you press the messages button on your 7960, that's just a "shortcut" to dial the first vm port on Unity. Your phone DN's CSS has to include the VM port's Partition so that your phone can call VM. That part is easy enough to understand.

When someone leaves you a vm, you would expect to see a light, or an envelope on your phone (specifically on the DN). Unity is picking up a port (just like a softphone), and is dialing the MWI on/off while impersonating your DN. As such the VM Port's CSS must include the DN's partition.

The other two Unity DIAL-OUTs are TRap (Telephony Recording and Playback) and Message Notification. If the Unity DIAL-OUT vm ports' CSS cannot find the devices' Partition, you will see warnings in your application logs.

H. M.

Thanks a lot. I understand what you mentioned here. Actually did you notice in addtion to the CSS assigned to unity port, there is also a device CSS for unity port if you look at the voice port configuration. Usually I assigned it the same as each individual port, but what do you think, when they can be different, just for my curisity. Thanks

Just like a Cisco IP Phone, there is a CSS for the device, and there is also a CSS for the DN. The CSS for the device is the default for all DNs unless a CSS is defined for the individual DN.

H. M.

If both DN and Device CSS configured, will line cSS take precedence over device? thanks

Yes. It's easy enough to test :-)

But according to Cisco documentation(alternative dial plan), line CSS doesn't have preference over device CSS. Actually which ever has the longest match will be used. For example, if my line CSS has partion with route pattern 9.1[2-8]xx[2-8]xxxxxx.and blocked. Device css has partion B with route pattern 9.1800xxxxxxx and allowed. In this case, if you make 1800call, you will still get through, but the other long distance blocked. So it's not that line CSS has preference over device. Which ever has longest match will be the one.