Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBI bug under 4.0(5)

jeremyts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have found a bug with the Cisco Unity Bulk Import (CUBI) wizard under 4.0(5). If importing a subscriber from Active Directory who's FullName contains a comma, the import fails with the error...

Record=0, Column=5, Fieldname=CN, Error=Invalid character(s) in string - please refer to the documentation to see which characters are allowable in this field (regex=([[:alnum:]]|\x26|_|'|\-|\.| |/)*).

Subscriber record: Grey,Ross,8755Grey, Ross,Grey, Ross,

This is because the CN is "CN=Grey, Ross,OU=Users,OU=Worsley Alumina,OU=Aluminium,DC=APAC,DC=ENT,DC=BHPBilliton,DC=NET"

The comma in the FirstName fails the import. If, however, I rename the account by removing the comma, it successfully imports.

Now the Cisco Unity Bulk Import (CUBI) wizard under 4.0(4) works because I did this for another business unit of the same company earlier in the year.

I understand that the developers changed the code of the CUBI wizard for 4.0(5). This may have invertadly created this bug.

Please review Microsoft Technet Article Q250455 to understand what modifications BHP Billiton and many other clients do to their Active Directory structure that the new release of the CUBI wizard does not take into account.

When reading in the CN, you must escape the comma. ie "CN=Grey\, Ross,OU=Users,OU=Worsley Alumina,OU=Aluminium,DC=APAC,DC=ENT,DC=BHPBilliton,DC=NET"

For your reference, I have logged a new request with the TAC, reference 602133619.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jeremy.

13 Replies 13

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, that has been logged as a defect as CSCsb74344.

Checked with a developer. He said that the comma issue with the AD cn properties was tracked and fixed with defect CSCsa85454. It is available in Unity 4.1

Is there a fix available for 4.0(5)? I've only just deployed 4.0(5), so I don't want to tell the client we need to upgrade in order to overcome this issue.

It doesn't sound very professional.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

No there is no fix available for 4.0(5). 4.1 is supposed to be the SR equivalent for the 4.0(5) release.You might want to consider upgrading them to a newer release with a lot more big fixes.

There are some new features added to 4.1, but none of them are turned on by default.

If you still think you need a fix in 4.0(5) release, you can contact TAC and see if they are willing to create a ES for the 4.0(5) line.

Thanks for following up. This system goes live next Thursday 6th October, and 4.1 is supposed to be released in the first week of October. It's going to be a close call!

Cheers,

Jeremy.

I have just been advised that it's the American prompt version that will be released next week. The Australian prompt version my be another month or two away, which is useless for me. So I will need the Developers to create a fix for 4.0(5).

I did not realize you are an international customer. 4.1 will be available in US English only.

You should approach TAC with the defect that I have identified and ask them to see if they can process an ES for it.

SCOTT VOLL
Level 1
Level 1

have you got a Bug ID on this yet? I had this same problem but they told me it was a space, But I think your right. we use lastname, firstname. What a pain to import ~300 users.

Scott

A TAC engineer suggested that it could be related to the regular expression in the 'ImportSpec.xml' of the 4.0(5) system. I've posted the section below that I believe the TAC engineer was referring to.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the 4.0(4) system at present, so I cannot compare. But I'm sure that Cisco has one thay can refer to.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Wrong bug reference Markus. You should have referenced CSCsa85454...I spent several hours chasing my tail trying to implement the fix in CSCsb74344 until the TAC brought this one to my attention.

Unexpected errors occur when using the Cisco Unity Bulk Import (CUBI) utility to import existing Active Directory User or Contact objects as new Cisco Unity Subscribers or Internet Subscribers.

Cisco Unity 4.0(5). Errors may occur when the 'Active Directory' operation is selected as the import method to use, and one of the following conditions is true...

a. One or more User or Contact objects selected for import on the 'Select Data To Import' screen are not homed in the root of the Container tree selected as the search root on the 'Select Domain and Container' screen.

b. The login account of the user running CUBI does not have the necessary permissions to modify the objects.

c. One or more objects selected for import contain a comma in the AD cn property value.

Workaround

Use the Subscribers CSV file import operation, selecting 'Create new Cisco Unity subscribers' and 'Use existing mailboxes and accounts' options on the 'Select Subscriber Data Import Option' screen. See the CUBI Help file for instructions using this method.

By the way, I have documented the issue and attached to this post for anyone else who is experiencing the same issue and doesn't understand why.

Anil Verma
Level 5
Level 5

What you describe is documented as part of this defect - CSCsa85454. It was caused by some changes to the 4.0(5) CUBI. The defect is resolved in Unity 4.1. 4.1 is planned for release in first week of Oct 2005.

I received a fix from the TAC on Friday and implemented it for my client today. It worked a treat, and saved many hours of my time.

Cheers,

Jeremy.