cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 10.5 to 14 Upgrade or Migration

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

I'm looking to migrate a 10.5 server to 14.x. Based on the upgrade guide my options look to be PCD or using export and import on clean install. I have the bootable ISO for 12.0 but not 14.x. Based on how I read the guide, my only choice would be to do a migration to 12.x using PCD and then upgrade that node to 14.x since I can't do the clean install without a bootable 14.x image. Does that sound right?

9 Replies 9

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

First of all, you can create a ticket with Cisco and request a bootable 14.0 or 14SU2 iso image.
Do not use 14SU1 as it has many defects.

If you want to upgrade directly from 10.5 to 14.X, you should use PCD.
Make sure you run the pre-upgrade-check COP file.
If your CUCM 10.5 is in FIPs mode, your PCD should be in non-fips mode.
To check the FIPs mode, you can run "utils fips status" command from the CLI of CUCM 10.5 and your PCD
FIPs is disabled by default. As far as you did not enable it on PCD, you should be good.

Upgrade and Migration Guide for CUCM/IM&P 14. Read this document carefully before the upgrade.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/14_0_1/cucm_b_upgrade-and-migration-guide_14/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-1251su2_chapter_00.html

You must use PCD for migration, using import export is a  manual process. PCD will automate the process. you can migrate to 14 in a single step using PCD and there is no need to bring the version to 12.X and then to 14.

When you said migrations, i assume you are moving the deployment to a new Server. in that case CUCM 14 Iso image will be available on the new server data store if the new Box is from Cisco.

For bootable image, you can also access your order from MCE portal  and donwlaod the bootable Images. The same portal are  used for placing upgrade order.

Got to software.cisco.com and access the MCE portal. Or go directly to https://mce.cisco.com/mce/#/dashboard/select-smart-account to access your order and download the ISO images.

Mandatory to read below documents.

- CUCM install upgrade guide

- PCD administration GUide

- Release Notes

- Read me Guides

- Compatibility Guides

Response Signature

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for both replies.  Moving off an older UCS C chassis to the companies existing ESXi infrastructure so I don't have a BE to get the ISO from, that's why I was looking at going to 12.x which I have a bootable iso for.  I'll check the MCE portal for an image to download.  The 10.5 CUCM is non-fips so no worries there.  I read through the upgrade guide so if I can get the 14.x bootable I'll go the migration route.  I'll deploy 14.x with a staging ip and when it's time to make it production I'll just disable the nic on the old server, re-ip the 14.x server and reboot that version and let it come up.

You must get the license for version 14 before you migrate.

if you are planning a migration on old ucs, have you check the VMware compatibility of the hardware you are migrating to ?

you must order licenses for version 14 if your existing deployment doesn’t have SWSS.

Along with the new license you will receive the iso images required for the deployment.

Response Signature

Thanks for the reply. The v14 licensing is in the Smart Account already so I think I'm ok there.

Check the MCE portal, the iso 14 must be available on the portal.

Response Signature

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks, will check the portal now.  1 question, as it's been a while since I used PCD: I'll still need to let the migration task pause as it will, then go into the old CUCM pub and "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to Pre-8.0" or will the ITL information be carried over to the new server?  I plan to do the migration task to get the configuration over to the new 14.x server, but with a new ip, then shutdown the 10.5 server during a maintenance window and re-ip the 14.x server to the original server ip so that phones will be able to pick up the same dhcp option and re-register.  

I would prefer to go with same ip. If you are going with different IP, PCD process will pause to do the certificate management.

I normally due bulk certificate management. 

Response Signature

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

If the PreUpgradeReadiness test has 2 failures, 1 for free space and the other for the adapter type, will the PCD migration still function normally since it's not actually upgrading the source server?  I can run the free common cop file w/o any issues, but since changing the adapter type would require additional downtime pre-upgrade/migration I was hoping to avoid that.  I can also adjust the high/low watermarks from within RTMT if needed to clear space.