cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9.1 Migration from MCS to UCS

Ren Stark
Level 1
Level 1

We have a proposal to migrate the CUCM & UC clusters. There are two clusters, first has 10 nodes second has 5 nodes. All the servers are running on MCS 7845 hardware with version 9.1. The hardware, as well as software, are EOL support. So we have a plan to migrate these to Virtual server UCS 240m5.

The plan is to migrate the server without any network changes( no changes of IP, hostname) to UCS with same 9.1 and then followed by version upgrade 11.0.1.

I believe there are two ways we can do the migration. using PCD & DRS backup, restore method.

We mostly prefer PCD migration. Here are my queries on this

1. for PCD migration how the CUCM configuration will be migrated to UCS server? Will this be migrated automatically as part of PCD migration or we need to take the entire backup before starting the migration and upload the backup to PCD?

2. If the migration automated using PCD, once the migration completed, will the MCS server still has the configuration, in case if we want to use the MCS server in production for some more time until to get the virtual server in production?

3. What the pre-checklist & the expected issues during the migration

4. How can I migrate the existing CUCM licenses to the UCS environment?

Please give your valuable input

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. for PCD migration how the CUCM configuration will be migrated to UCS server? Will this be migrated automatically as part of PCD migration or we need to take the entire backup before starting the migration and upload the backup to PCD?

>> Yes, PCD exports current configuration and dumps bunch of XML, CSV, etc files into its SFTP repository and then executes scripts to restore the data during server build

2. If the migration automated using PCD, once the migration completed, will the MCS server still has the configuration, in case if we want to use the MCS server in production for some more time until to get the virtual server in production?

>> If you are retaining the same network config (IP and hostname) the old servers will be shutdown after PCD export is performed and prior to new server being built, so be ready for outage though you may stagger your server deployment by customizing the migration task

3. What the pre-checklist & the expected issues during the migration

>> Make sure DB replication and runtime state is all good, follow the install guide for any other checks

4. How can I migrate the existing CUCM licenses to the UCS environment?

>> Since you are upgrading licenses will be different, you will need to open case with licensing team, but you will have 60 days grace period.  You will need to deploy PLM if going to CUCM 10.5/11.5, and if going to 12.X you'll need to convert to smart licensing.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input. I need more clarification on the below 

If you are retaining the same network config (IP and hostname) the old servers will be shutdown after PCD export is performed and prior to new server being built, so be ready for outage though you may stagger your server deployment by customizing the migration task

>> Yes I am not going to change the network config. Can I keep the old server live in the network until the new server is built?

If any issues occur during the PCD export still can I use the old server? Will the configurations are exist?

Since you are upgrading licenses will be different, you will need to open case with the licensing team, but you will have 60 days grace period. You will need to deploy PLM if going to CUCM 10.5/11.5, and if going to 12.X you'll need to convert to smart licensing

>> First I am planning to do migration from MCS to UCS ( migrating the same CUCM version 9.1)
In this phase do I need to anything related to existing License installed?

Can someone please update on this please

Can someone please help me with the requested queries?

Hi Ren,

Can you please share your experience as i am also planning for migration from mcs to ucs..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: