Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM on ESXi install

Ilya Geraskin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've made a new installation of CUCM 8.6 on VM with ova template in ESXi 5.0 host. Is it normally that on Xeon 5410 host with 2 allocated cores and 2gb RAM installation process takes veery long time? Even pre-install checksum validation takes about 10-20 minutes. All process takes about 2,5 hours. But the strange thing is that after succesfull installation CUCM works quite slow. Even the first start freezes on "Loading, please wait" screen for about 10-14 seconds. And that screen freezes every time you log in. Former employee that was working with telephony have installed cucm 8.5 on another VM and it runs much faster. Even on less hardware resources.

Did I miss something in installation? Maybe there is some pre-install configuration of VM needed to run cucm faster? Guy who installed 8.5 doesn't remember anything about this. In cucm on VM installation guide i haven't seen any advice.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This hardware configuration is not supported on at least two counts: 1) The minimum processor speed is an E5640 at 2.66GHz; and, 2) None of the CUCM 8.6 OVAs have 2GB of memory. Both of these non-conforming specifications are likely contributing to poor performance, esspecially the memory shortage. Bring the host and VM into a supported state and see if performance improves.

Additional details are available on the DocWiki:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization

Ok, that's my fault. It really has 4Gb RAM.

It easy to say that E5640 is not supported. Some time ago virtualization wasn't supported at all but worked pretty good. I have tested 8.0 version on new VM and it was working slower than that previously installed 8.5 too.

Do you mean that if host processor will be 200MHz faster then CUCM performance will be amazingly higher?

It is testlab server with minimal load

Do you mean that if host processor will be 200MHz faster then CUCM performance will be amazingly higher?

Unlikely but you need to start this thread off with the disclaimer that you're playing in a lab and not having a production problem then. I have CUCM 8.6(2a)SU1 running on my MacBook with reasonable performance and it doesn't meet the CPU requirements either.

You could launch RTMT and see if there is a high IOWait which may suggest a HD IOPS performance issue; much of Informx is sequential write-oriented after all. Also, is that 4GB reserved for the VM; or, is the hypervisor swapping it as virtual memory? Slowness in Tomcat (e.g. "Loading, please wait..") is esspecially indicitive of memory shortages. I have seen that exact behavior when I forgot to add memory to an MCS server during an upgrade.

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

HI

Xeon 5410 is not supported for UC installation.

Please see below link for the supported third party hardware.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Specification-Based_Hardware_Support

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate helpful posts by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.