cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Pool and test phone

Stuart Butt
Level 1
Level 1

I know that the Device Pool of a phone controls certain settings for all devices that are members.

However, if I have test phone in my office at SiteA - will changing it's Device Pool to SiteB cause that traffic to flow as it would from a phone physically located at SiteB?  Or would the traffic still go through the ISR at SiteA?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tumul Raizada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stuart,

If we change the device pool of a phone this primarily changes the CUCM group to which the phone is registered to and as we know that once a phone is successfully registered to a call manager there is an up and running TCP connection between that phone and the call manger to which it is registered with. 

So, to some extent we can say that the phone behaves as if it is physically located at another site, however, the route taken by the traffic generated by the phone would depend on the data routing existent in the system and if the ISR router at SiteA plays a role in connecting the test phone in context to the CUCM at site B the traffic would still go through it.

Kind Regards,

Tumul 

*please rate if it helps!!*

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tumul Raizada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Stuart,

If we change the device pool of a phone this primarily changes the CUCM group to which the phone is registered to and as we know that once a phone is successfully registered to a call manager there is an up and running TCP connection between that phone and the call manger to which it is registered with. 

So, to some extent we can say that the phone behaves as if it is physically located at another site, however, the route taken by the traffic generated by the phone would depend on the data routing existent in the system and if the ISR router at SiteA plays a role in connecting the test phone in context to the CUCM at site B the traffic would still go through it.

Kind Regards,

Tumul 

*please rate if it helps!!*

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RTP flows directly between endpoints, the DP doesn't change this as the signaling tells phone A to send RTP to phone B's IP and viceversa.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you Tumul.  It seems in our setup the traffic routing would not change, as our voice vlans at each site ISR point to the data center were the UCM server resides.

Jamie,

What about for calls that are external to the VOIP network?  Usually this is where our problem areas lie, in sites with VOIP communicating with outside customers and outside customers calling in.

Would the device pool be the method to redirect such traffic to a specific ISR, and thus somehow potentially get an idea of QoS issues?

I'm not a network engineer, and have no training on this (VOIP) at all yet unfortunately beyond basic networking skills.  I am pretty comfortable setting up phones but alot of the options are beyond what I've been able to research so far.  Thank you both for the replies.

If you want to route calls based on the DP from the calling device, yes, that's possible, that's called Local Route Groups. This is only for outbound, inbound is all under control from telco.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate