cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Digital Networking reply to feature not working

mark-rose
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 sites with 4.0(4) with digital networking.

I can forward messages to other sites correctly and even do a reply to after listening to the reply message and have that work.

But when I receive a message from another site I do not get the prompt to reply to key 4 .

I do not want live reply I just want reply to that works like when a subscriber calls another subscriber from the same server.

Any ideas?

Thanks

13 Replies 13

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Something to check: On each Unity server, go to the SA and select System Configuration Settings. The box labeled "Subscribers are identified as message senders only if they log on" should be unchecked. Here is the Cisco doc that mentions this - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008022cd84.html#wp1403565

Regards,

Ginger

The box is unchecked on both servers.

I also dont get the name when I play the message from "subscriber" just the messgage.

And to top it off if I forward to I do get the name!

Thanks

Mark

Hi -

Is it possible you need to code the following:

Check the Before Playing Each Message, Play the Sender's Name check box on the Subscriber Conversation page. It's located near the bottom of the page. This might explain why the forward works, but playing the message does not.

Ginger

I looked they are checked but I found this error on the server.

EventID: 13568

Event Type: Error

Rule: Journal Wrap detected.

I corrected it per M.Soft instructions and hope it replicates and heals itself tonight while I sleep.

Mark

Still not working I will make test calls from all sites. Has anybody seen digital netowrking work with the standard reply to from a remote site?

Tested all 5 sites can forward to each other and the name that came from is added AND can reply after listen to the forward message.

They cannot do a reply to a message from another server and it doesnt say where it came from.

Forward is perfect and can do a reply?

Here is a section on Enabling Identified Subscriber Messaging Between Networked Cisco Unity Subscribers that may help...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008022cd84.html#wp1402828

Also, can you try using Outlook or Outlook Express to open one of these messages that you would would like to reply to? What shows up in the From field? What shows up in the Subject Field?

Regards,

Eric

Thanks I think we are one the right track now.

This is what I found in the docs.

It is important to note the difference between the following two circumstances:

• A subscriber logs on to Cisco Unity, and then records and sends a message ("To send a message, press 2")

• A subscriber places a phone call to another subscriber, and then leaves a message

When the subscriber has logged on to Cisco Unity, Cisco Unity can identify the message as being from the subscriber, regardless of which Cisco Unity server the message recipient is homed on. In this case, the phone system is not involved and the recipient phone does not ring. Instead, the message is sent via Digital Networking

I can logs on to Cisco Unity, and then records and sends a message ("To send a message, press 2")

And the subscriber at the remote gets my name and I can reply. :-)

If I place a phone call to another subscriber, and then leaves a message I do not hear the name and cannot reply as it does not know who I am.

It appears that this is how it works and it doesnt use the caller ID to determine that I am a subscriber

from a remote server.

Am I correct?

Thanks

No that is not correct. Even if the person on Unity A calls a subscribers phone on Unity B, the message should be identified as long as both Unity servers are installed in the same AD.

This sounds like a permissions issue, please run the permissions wizard and choose and OU to import subscribers from that is high enough in the AD hierarchy that it includes the containers of all Unity subscribers regardless of which Unity server they are on. If you are using a diffrent MsgStore account for each Unity server, you will have to run the wizard on each Unity server. For more info, refer to the link previously provided.

Let me try to explain the issue a little differently. I work with Mark and am helping him out with this a bit.

1) If we call subscriber and get VM and login, then choose option 2 to send a message to a subscriber on another unity server, and leave message it recognizes the subscriber and saids their name. ( Message sent via digital networking according to doc above. )

2) If we call subscriber on another unity server where the callers account is not located locally and get VM and do not login, and leave a VM for this sub this is when the name is not heard/identified.

In scenario 2, according to the cisco doc above is this because were not logged in and the message is sent through phone system, and not with digital networking since were not logged in?

Mark, is this accurate?

Scenario 2 is definitely a bit trickier to get working. The Unity system that handles the call has to a) match the caller ID to the subscriber then b) send the message from that subscriber's Exchange mailbox.

a) can commonly break because when a caller hits the remote Unity system the calling number might not show up the same as when calling a local Unity. e.g. instead of showing up as x1234, the caller might show up as x4085551234. This is easy to check for in the call viewer (or in the Subject field of the message). This is also easy to fix using Alternate Extensions.

b) can break if the remote Unity does not have Send As rights for the caller's Exchange account. This is the permissions issue that Chris was referring to earlier in this thread. The message store account for each Unity server needs to have permissions that cover subscribers from ALL Unity systems.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

I set the following parameter to 1 in all servers then stopped and started Unity this A.M. and it is fixed!

Advanced Tools

Networking - Set Auto Attendant Search Scope

1: Expand the search to the dialing domain.

This value is only valid in Unity 3.0 and later.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Mark

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008022cd84.html#wp1283895