Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable reply to voice mail for one subscriber

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Is it possible to disable reply to a VM from another subscriber on the server?

Lets say phone 1111 calls phone 2222 and leaves VM.

User 2222 logs in and listens to VM and replies, but gets denied because 1111 user can't accept messages.

Have client using regular subscriber to get name listed in directory for transfer purposes to a phone.

Greetings on profile are set to not take message and to hang up after greeting/transfer. That part is working fine.

Problem is the 1111 phone is a phone in a general area for a department and not a specific users phone.

People use this phone as they are walking by, etc to call other people in office and may leave them a VM. If that person replies to the VM then it goes to 1111 mailbox and records message reply and the message goes into this mailbox no one checks. So they want to not have this user be able to receive messages.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you can't get that specific with rules - in 4.0(5) you can create a custom conversation that restricts replying entirely, but you can't restirct a reply based on the sending subscriber.

that said, I think there's a much easier solution to your problem.

Create an internet subscriber (not a full subscriber) and give them a random extension number (say 82384234). Make sure you setup the name and record a voice name as you have now and mark it so it'll be listed in the directory. Now setup the transfer rule for the internet subscriber to be active and to ring the phone at "1111". This allows users to find the extension by name (if that's what you're doing) but prevents messages from being left by this person and, as such, there would never be a reply to it.

If you are having folks dial 1111 in the auto attendant, you can setup a call handler with this ID and transfer string.

This sounds to me like a much better (and feasible) solution to your problem.

Ok. I thought internet subscribers could still get messages but just not just check them through VM system.

they can - but by doing what I suggest, if someone picks up 1111 and makes a call, there will be no reply option, so it's not an issue.

there's no reason to tie 1111 to a subscriber - that's the point. the transfer number and the extension do not have to match, so make your extension random and make the transfer string 1111 and in this way users can find it in the name dialer but the phone will not be linked to a subscriber. This is what you want for a lobby phone like that...