cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2007

fieldj
Level 1
Level 1

I just finished setting up a test env. to test exchange 2007 and unity. Things went very well. I found that the only thing that doesn't work is trying to setup exchange 2007 as a partner server. Everything else worked. Here is what is did in the test env.

1) Setup AD

2) Setup Exchange 2003 SP2

3) Setup CCM 4.2(1) sr1a

4) Setup Unity 4.2

5) Setup the phones that connect to CCM and have a Unity UM mailbox.

6) Tested things.

a) leave a message

b) WMI on

c) check message with phone

d) WMI off

e) Open OWA and mark message as un-read

f) WMI on

g) delete message from OWA

h) WMI off

7) I then executed 3 commands to update the schema for exchange 2007. I tested things after each command. I will use step 6) for the rest of my testing. The 3 commands are: setup /pl . setup /ps . setup /p

8) The schema is now updated for exchange 2007. I now rebooted all server in the test env. and tested again to make sure everything was still working after a reboot.

9) I now installed exchange 2007 on a new test server

10) Ran through the testing again and everything still is working

11) I reboot the test network again and everything is still working.

12) Ran the permission wizard and selected the new exchange 2007 server and all the storage groups and databases. The wizard finished with no errors.

13) I then ran the message store wizard leaving the exchange 2003 as the partner server and the wizard finished with no errors

14) Moved 1 mailbox from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 and tested voice mail. Everything worked fine. I was shocked!!! This is very cool.

15) I tried to make the exchange 2007 as the partner server but with wizard died. This is not surprising.

Summary:

I seems from the limited testing i did that you can add Exchange 2007 and everything works as long as exchange 2003 is still the partner server. Please let me know if anyone else is getting the same results as me. My next test is to format unity and start over with exchange 2007 already in the mix. If anyone has other scenarios to test let me know and i can give it a try. I am certain that Cisco doesn't support this in production yet but my testing so far seams very promising.

Jim

17 Replies 17

hi, i'm not the microsoft pro. As far as i know, you need x64 for installing MXS2k7...

yes

but sp2 is also for x64 windows 2003

Hi -

I'd like to comment on the MWI functionality the 3rd party vendors are making available for Exchange 2007 UM - MWI is absolutely the 1st reason our customers will call if it's not working correctly. MWI is a critical piece of a voice messaging application. We are running Unity 4.2 unified messaging with Exchange 2003. We will definitely test Unity with Exchange 2007 in our lab first but more so to ensure Unity's functionality is not compromised by Exchange 2007. Not that it will be, but Unity is an enterprise service for us, as Exchange is.

Ginger