Views
Helpful
Replies

FIPS 140-2 for CallManager 12.5.1

tina.hopper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all:

We're getting ready to deploy a new CUCM cluster for a gov't customer, and need some specifics on which CUCM 12.5.1 SU supports FIPS 140-2.

The 12.5 Security guide states only 12.5.1 SU1 supports FIPS:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/12_5_1/cucm_b_security-guide-1251/cucm_b_security-guide-1251_chapter_0100001.html#CUCM_TP_FDCF810C_00

FIPS Mode Not Supported in Some 12.x Versions

FIPS mode is supported with 12.5(1)SU1. However, FIPS mode is not supported with Releases 12.0(x) and 12.5(1) of Cisco Unified Communications Manager and the IM and Presence Service. If you are upgrading from an earlier release with FIPS mode, Enhanced Security Mode, or Common Criteria Mode enabled, you must disable them prior to the upgrade to these releases, or upgrade to 12.5(1)SU1 instead. TFTP and other services will not work in 12.0(x) or 12.5(1) with FIPS mode enabled.

==

However, the CUCM 12.5.1 SU3 security guide gives steps on how to configure FIPS mode but no statement on whether it supports FIPS or not:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/security/12_5_1SU3/cucm_b_security_guide_1251SU3/cucm_m_fips-mode-setup_su2_reorg.html

The FIPS 140-2 guide just shows 12.5 as a supported FIPS version, no mention of any SU requirement:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/industries/government/global-government-certifications/fips-140.html

Can someone provide clarity on if all CUCM 12.5.1 SU's support FIPS, or only SU1?  Ideally we'd like to upgrade to the latest SU for patches/bug fixes, but need to confirm SU3 (or all SU's for 12.5.1) are FIPS compliant.  Also, we need to plan for correct phone firmware and other software for FIPS, and the documentation is confusing, to say the very least.

TIA

5 Replies 5

Kaloyan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I don't see where the confusion comes from. The documentaion that you are citing clearly states that FIPS mode is not supported in specific CUCM versions (which are pointed out). You'll have to be running CUCM 12.5 SU1 or higher (which is implicit). 

If it was clear it would be clear and I wouldn’t have asked the question. It says only supported in SU1 in the 12.5 guide. I need a definitive answer.

I'll add this...the fact that it's implicit to Cisco doesn't mean it's implicit to customers.  We are the ones on the hook having to deploy a solution based on "well I'm assuming that because FIPS mode instructions are in the CUCM 12.5.1 SU3 guide that it's supported."  

For us to have to guess instead of putting a note stating "NOTE:  FIPS mode is supported in all 12.5.1 SU releases" either in the 12.5.1 SU3 security guide would help us a great deal.  If we assume, and Cisco backtracks and says "whoops, something is wrong so FIPS isn't supported" - and I've seen that happen too many times - then it's on us and leaves the customer in a bind.

So please, if it was "implicit" it would actually be CLEAR and not ASSUMED.

FIPS mode is supported with 12.5(1)SU1 and higher. Means its supported on 12.5(1)SU3 and That's the reason Release Guide  12.5(1)SU3 explain the configuration steps.

Response Signature

Thank you for clarifying before we start deploying SU3, the confirmation is appreciated.