cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add a Phone to Cisco Unified Communications Manager?

aluro
Level 1
Level 1

Just a few words before I ask my question. I am well aware that this might seem as a simple question and that there is online documentation however I have read through the documentation but it's still not working. 

I am running Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 7.0.1.11000-02.

For testing purposes I have it running in an virtual environment(VMware Workstation 15 Player , but it's connected to the actual internet and has an IP-Address and is accessible from other devices in the network. I can log in the web user-interface and change settings as needed. I verified that the settings for the virtual machine are good but I will post a screenshot of the configuration.

Now: When I try to add an IP-Phone(which is in my case an 7912 and 7940, both running SIP-software)they both get added successfully, however there's no IP-Address or Registration given. It just says Unknown. I can see that there's no connection between the Phone and the Server as remotely restarting the phone from CUCM doesn't work.

Now my question is: what am I doing wrong and is it actually possible to run CUCM in a virtual machine or does it have to be necessarily installed on actual hardware in order to work?

Just aside all that: I have never used Cisco Unified Communication Manager before so if there's something I am missing or some information you need is not given in the text above, let me know and I will provide you with the needed information. 

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Kind regards, aluro

7 Replies 7

Yes, you can run CUCM in a VM (including v7).

If you have added the phone successfully may I ask if you have added a directory number to the phone? SIP phones won't register without a DN associated.

As you are new, I will ask: Do you have the Cisco CallManager service and the Cisco TFTP service running?

Do you have Option 150 added to the DHCP scope for the phones (pointing to the TFTP server)

If the above is all good then the next place to look for troubleshooting is the phone itself. On the phone, navigate in the Status messages to look for errors like "DHCP Timeout" or "TFTP Timeout" etc.

These are the basics. Let us know how it goes.

Maren

Hi, 

thanks for the fast reply!
No I haven't added an directory number to the phone. How can I create one and associate it to the phone?

How can I check if Cisco CallManager service and the Cisco TFTP service are running?

How can I add Option 150 to the DHCP?

The phone doesn't show any status messages like DHCP timetout. 

I should mention, that the TFTP server I use is not the CallManager one but instead my NAS which has one built in. 

I am sorry for all the questions

Thanks in forward, 

kind regards, aluro

While you technically can use a TFTP server other than the CUCM TFTP server, I have never seen it successful in a production environment. Turn on the TFTP service on a CUCM server and go with that.

Here is a link to the Serviceability Guide for CUCM 9 (which is the oldest available online). To start the Cisco CallManager service and the TFTP services, you will need to activate them:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/9_0/admin/CUCM_BK_C136FE37_00_cisco-unified-serviceability-administration-90/CUCM_BK_C136FE37_00_cisco-unified-serviceability-administration-guide_chapter_0100.html 

Here is a link to the Admin Guide chapter on building a phone. Search for "Add a new DN" in this doc for adding a directory number:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide-90/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide_chapter_01000101.html 

Here is a link about adding Option 150 to a Windows DHCP server. It's for Win2000, but the steps are basically the same. If you are using a router/L3-switch as a DHCP server then add the option to the dhcp pool.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/13992-win2000-dhcp.html 

You have a lot of reading and research to do. Google is your friend. Afterwards, let us know if you have specific questions.

Maren

First of all thanks for the links. 

Alright, I've just completed all the points you asked me to do. 

I didn't have any issues. 

So whats the next step?

Thanks in forward. 

Kind regards, aluro

That is not a specific enough question. What is it that you need to do next?

As I mentioned, you have reading and research to do. Have you read through the documents or done other research so that you know how the system basically works? We can help you fix things or answer questions, but if you need full-on integration you need an integrator and if you need introductory training you need a training firm.

Maren

I am sorry for being gone for such a long time. Now here's whats going on currently:

Alright, I've read trough all the documents and do know how the system works.

I then tried to register a phone which kind of worked. Just to recall: the phone I am using is an Cisco 7912 running SIP-software. I then gave the phone the TFTP-server of the communications-manager. After a reboot I saw that the phone was downloading and flashing a firmware from the server. It got the previously assigned directory number and I was able to see that there is some communication between the phone and server going on as the directory number changes on the phone as soon as I change it in the communications Manager. 

However I still have the same problem that the status stays empty and the phone apparently does not get an IP-Address - according to CUCM. 

Now my question: Is the phone maybe registered but it just doesn't show it in the status? Or what else might be missing or misconfigured?

Thanks in advance,

kind regards.

UPDATE:

I got the phone working and registered. 

Now something I wasn't able to get configured is connecting up a standard phone number from my VOIP provider with CUCM.

Can anyone give me some assistance on how to do that?

Thanks in forward, 

kind regards