cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect 10,000 CPE Trunk with Cisco Call Manager?

tonysamir
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all;

I have a real-estate project that the sizing for the project will reach 10,000 units and in every unit, there is CPE that will connect IP Phones, Analogy Phones, Internet and IPTV.

And I make trunk between CPE and Call Manager but there are limitation in the number of the trunks  to 2100 trunk (In Call Manager Version 7.1) so what is the suitable solution that I can use to connect 10,000 CPE trunks with the Cisco Call Manager

Please advise me with the suitable solution for this Case.

Regards;

TS

5 Replies 5

jballari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tony,

As you point out, 10,000 trunks exceeds the current capacity of CUCM in terms of trunks supported. At that size, you're leaving the enterprise product line to enter in Service Provider line of products. Now, couple of questions from my side:

-Will the CUCM have registered phones/users or will it only have trunks to the CPEs?

-Are there any features that you require from CUCM or would you consider other products? (for instance a GateKeeper solution)

Another parameter that you need to take into consideration when designing the whole solution is the call volume in terms of calls per second and BHCA. It might be that you reach the limits of the products in terms of call handling well before you reach the limit in terms of trunks.

Now, about potential solutions:

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks Jose

For the CPE that i use, it contains 1 Fast Ethernet WAN Port, 7 Fast Ethernet LAN Port and 2 FXS. So for the IP Phones it will register with the CUCM and i want make trunk between the CPE and CUCM for the Analogy Phones.

Total number of units in this compound will reach 10,000 units so what is the suitable solution that can i use to connect 10,000 CPE with Call Manager and also be cost effective.

If i use the Gatekeeper, it can give me the functionality that i want and if yes ,how can I size the gatekeeper.

Regards;

TS

Ok so if I understand it right, you have 10000 sites to deploy and each of those sites have a number of IP Phones that will register to the CUCM plus a number of analogue phones that will also need to be integrated into the cluster. If that is the situation then: - you dont have to configure each CPE as a trunk but rather as a gateway. In either case, you are exceeding the maximun number of gateways that can be registered in a single cluster, which is around 2100 in the latest CUCM version if I'm not mistaken - however, the above is not your only limitation. You need to think also about the number of locations and regions supported in CUCM and that number is also way below 10000. Since you will have IP Phones in each location, you need a location and maybe also a region for eacu of those sites. That in turn exceeds the maximun number for those two items.  So, in short, I think you need multiple CUCM clusters and then a solution to link th, either by using a GK or by using the new CUCM Session Manager edition. I'd also recommend that you contact your Cisco Account Manager in order to get you help with the sizing of the solution. There is also a sizing tool in Cisco.com if you have an account there.  Sorry I cant be more specific but this really needs an exercise of design and capacity calculation (and plan several days for it btw)  cheers, Jose

jamesadams_66
Level 4
Level 4

Just to be clear, I might be missing the point, but do you really need 10,000 trunks?

What are you planning on connecting to your CPE's analog FXS ports?

If you are thinking analog phones, faxes, etc, they why wouldnt they register to the UCM as endpoints (not trunks).

or are you thinking of connecting the ports to local PSTN circuits at each location?

Anas Hafez
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sorry if this question doesn't seem suitable for the thread but what does CPE stand for, i tried searching for it but got no clear answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: