Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible do the following??

Ruben2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I hope you guys are ok and before I start, just thanks to everyone.

I am starting to prepare my Cisco training however I just find myself into a problem at work.

I have PC and phone (VoIP) connected throught the same cable, meaning that the phone, which is PoE, makes the Switch funtion, therefore just 1 cable reaches the Cisco Switch, model SG500X-48 48-Port Gigabit with 4-Port 10-Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch.

I wonder to know whether is possible or no make the following. I would like to create 2 VLAN to make the diffence between data and voice. Would it be possible without splitting the cable in 2 reaching the Switch with 2 different lines? In other words, Is it possible to create different VLANs to separate Voice and Data that run over the same cable?

To be honest guys, I imagine that this is not possible but who knows.

Thanks to everyfone for the answers in advance.

4 Replies 4

Rich Uline
Level 1
Level 1

Ruben,

It sounds like you just need to configure a voice VLAN on the switchport the phone is connected to. Configuring the voice VLAN essentially turns the switchport into a dot1q trunk, but one that only allows two VLANs. The workstation attached to the phone gets put into the switchport VLAN, while the phone gets put into the voice VLAN. A Cisco phone will automatically learn the VLAN IDs via CDP. I'm not sure if the syntax is the same for the SG500 as it is for IOS, but normally configuring a voice VLAN would look something like this:

interface gi0/1
 switchport voice vlan 10

If you are using the GUI, it might be configurable by selecting VLAN Management > Voice VLAN from the left navigation pane.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Very appreciated.

Very helpful!!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate post. 

Kindly post all response(s) into the main thread (HERE).

Sorry Leo,
My mistake. First time that I am using the Cisco Forum and I got confused. Wont happen again.!!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: